[Solved] Web Editor - Custom Library Examples and COM port default

Hi Developers,

I have just started using web editor, thanks for your work so far.
I need your help with 3 things:

  1. I was able to successfully upload .zip libraries to the editor (U8GLIB), but when I want to use the examples it gets stuck at loading source. (Examples.png Attached). The built in libraries opens up fine.
    I am using the latest version of chrome on windows 7.
    2)I noticed that the built in libraries are replicated a couple of times could we have unique records only?
    (BuidIn.png Attached)
    3)Would it be possible to clear the board selection as it defaults to COM11 and my board needs to be connected to COM12. Every time I connect the board it wants to connect to COM11 and I need to switch to COM12. (COMPort & COMPort2.png Attached)

Thanks for your assistance.

BuildIn.PNG

COMPort.PNG

COMPort2.PNG

Hi @MnrWsmith thanks for your report!

1) yes, this is definitely a bug, going to fix it as soon as we can 2) this is unfortunately a known glitch, we are not able to reproduce, if you find a way please let us know! Refreshing the page fixes the problem anyway 3) are you using an official Mega? we save the port within the metadata for every Arduino official board

Hi OOalis,

1) Thanks for looking into this. 2) I noticed when I do a refresh its fine, if I find the reason how this happens I will supply you with the info. 3) Yes I am using a Mega board, the COM port 11 is already in use by a broadband GPS device so once I plug in my Mega board it connects to the COM 12 port as COM 11 is unavailable. So if the board is saved in the metadata @ COM11 it will always be required to manually switch to COM12, correct? I also did a check to see if I can move the GPS device to a different port, but I don't see any options to do so in the properties menu.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Hi again,

  1. Custom Examples are now working again
  2. Please do! We have been trying to fix this for a long time
  3. Oh this is an edge case we haven’t considered, we will investigate and let you know!

Hi @MnrWsmith, we need a bit more log for the issue 3.

Please connect your Mega with the set up you have, go to the tray icon of the plugin in your desktop bar, right click and press Open Debug Console. In the input field on the bottom of the page type: 'Log on'. Please paste here the output your get.

Thanks a lot!

With windows it is possible to re-assign a COM port for a device. It used to be useful in the days of serial modems but the ability is still there.

  1. Open "device manager"
  2. Expand the "Ports (COM % LPT"
  3. Select/highlight the item you want to change the COM port on.
  4. Right click and select "Properties"
  5. In the box that comes up select the "Port Settings" tab
  6. Now click on "Advanced"
  7. In the new box near the bottom is a drop down box you can select the port number you wish to lock down there.
  8. Click OK and close out until you are done.
  9. A re-boot is often worthwhile at this point and then double check the device you changed has held the port you gave it.

Dont change any other setting unless you know what you are doing.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for assisting, @OOalis I will run the debug console tonight and update here with the output.

@ Ballscrewbob, Thanks for the below steps, I actually did check previously it does not allow you to change. I have attached the properties menu and you will notice it only has a couple of tabs, the port settings however is not available.

Thanks a million OOalis for fixing the examples issue in record time, I tested and it works now.

COMPort11Properties.PNG

Hi OOAlis,

Good news, when I plugged in the mega board now it automatically changed to COM12, no need for me to change it manually again.

Here is the logon script for in case you need it: list { "Ports": [ { "Name": "COM11", "SerialNumber": "", "DeviceClass": "", "IsOpen": false, "IsPrimary": false, "Baud": 0, "BufferAlgorithm": "", "Ver": "1.0.46", "NetworkPort": false, "VendorID": "0x0BDB", "ProductID": "0x193E" }, { "Name": "COM12", "SerialNumber": "", "DeviceClass": "", "IsOpen": false, "IsPrimary": false, "Baud": 0, "BufferAlgorithm": "", "Ver": "1.0.46", "NetworkPort": false, "VendorID": "0x2341", "ProductID": "0x0042" } ], "Network": false } { "Ports": [], "Network": true }

Thanks again for your help. :)

Magic! Happy to hear that now it works :)