[SOLVED] What is the best way to store up to 1mb of temporary storage?

Hi,

My current setup consists of an Arduino Uno and a micro SD card. The Arduino gathers around 125 bytes of data every second. Currently, I store this data on an SD card. After a while (can be minutes up to 2 hours), the Arduino stops its data collection and sends the SD card data via BLE to a custom Android app and removes the SD file.

That means I need around 1mb of (temp) storage.

I'm trying to miniaturize my project and wondered what would be the smallest option of storing this temporary information on the device. I thought of storing it in SRAM, but I don't think an AVR chip exists with that much SRAM. I also thought of using an ARM chip like the nRF52840 (which has BLE support and 256 KB SRAM), but I can't find any information on how to use this chip in a 'custom Arduino'; I'd rather use AVR.

I'm also thinking about wear and have a couple of SD cards die on me, so I don't know which storage option has the most read and write cycles. This isn't the most important thing though.

I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Quinten

I think lots of people use serial flash memory chips. These are typically 8 pins, 3.3V, and communicate via SPI. They come in a variety of sizes. If you don't really need to preserve the SD card data as a file, I think serial flash would make a lot more sense, assuming it is fast enough.

Woah, I didn't know they existed. Looks like the perfect fit, I'll look into it. Weird that I haven't found that on the webs before. Thanks for the help!

I bought mine on eBay for cheap. Winbond makes a common one.