[SOLVED] What's the "D" and "NE" in "L293DNE"?

Hi all,

My only 293 is marked L293DNE but whatever searches I do for a data sheet I end up with the same one, entitled "L293, L293D quadruple halh-h drivers". Can someone please confirm what I gather from this datasheet:

• NE is a packaging thing... that's the physical plastic shape and size yes? Or no?

• D seems to mean Diodes... I get that the D-version has extra diodes. Are these flyback diodes or diodes for some other purpose?

a       

JimboZA: Hi all,

My only 293 is marked L293DNE but whatever searches I do for a data sheet I end up with the same one, entitled "L293, L293D quadruple halh-h drivers". Can someone please confirm what I gather from this datasheet:

• NE is a packaging thing... that's the physical plastic shape and size yes? Or no?

Yes. You have the NE and the WP packages (the WP only comes in the D variety). The pin diagrams on the right of page one explain that.

• D seems to mean Diodes... I get that the D-version has extra diodes. Are these flyback diodes or diodes for some other purpose?

aYes. The schematics on pages 3 and 4 show the difference between the non-D and D versions. You have a pair of extra clamping diodes on the output which force the output to remain between Vcc and GND at all times, causing any back EMF to go via the diodes, regardless of motor direction.

Cool, thanks... thought so, but just wanted to make sure