Some guidance for a circuit testing the operation of DC powered lights

Hello!

I know almost nothing about electronics but....

I am looking forward to built a project which will test the operation of DC powered lights. To be more specific,
I have a series of 24V DC lights switched on and off via a DC distribution panel with simple rocker switches and fuses. I would like to be able to test the continuity of each light line and have an alarm (visual or audible) for any faults.

I assume that my arduino circuit and software should be able to measure voltage for each (+) line and inform the user if this is found bellow a certain threshold, which will probably mean that either the bulb is not working or the line is cut. One way is use something like Hall Effect sensors. My setup includes about 8 lights leading to one switches/fuses DC panel. So maybe such approach (Hall Effect sensors) wont work.

Any ideas?

I am looking forward to built a project which will test the operation of DC powered lights.

I have a series of 24V DC lights switched on and off via a DC distribution panel with simple rocker switches and fuses.

I would like to be able to test the continuity of each light line and have an alarm (visual or audible) for any faults.

I assume that my arduino circuit and software should be able to measure voltage for each (+) line and inform the user if this is found below a certain threshold, which will probably mean that either the bulb is not working or the line is cut. One way is use something like Hall Effect sensors.

My setup includes about 8 lights leading to one switches/fuses DC panel. So maybe such approach (Hall Effect sensors) wont work.

POST THE SCHEMATIC if you want assistance with a hardware issue. We should not have to ask for that.
WHAT IS YOUR QUESTION ?

There is no schematic as there is no hardware! It is all at conceptual level. Let me make it simpler as you may have not understood.

What I have is a battery, a switch and a bulb. The circuit is 24V DC powered.

Imagine that I have several (max 8) bulbs which can be switched on and off independently, all powered by the same banks of batteries. I could just have one bulb though, the goal is the same.

What I would like to have, is a method to test if the light (bulb) is in working condition. I think that some cars provide this as a pre-ignition test for the car’s lights. There are two cases which result to a non operational light: First, the bulb to be broken (or missing) and second the line to be cut. Both cases actually “cut” the circuit.
I would imaging a way of measuring the line’s voltage and if found less than a certain threshold, the system could be consirered faulty. There may be other ways of performing the test.

Since I dont have much experience with either general electronics or the arduino platform, I was wondering if someone has an idea of implementing such test.

I know how to test dc circuits, thank you. I don't need you to explain that to me. I don't know what you want. If you want to design it , that's fine, but if you're asking us to design it then we're telling you that you need to post the schematic of the circuit to be tested, simple or not. I don't care if it's a single light bulb. I expect you do AT LEAST that if you are asking for help. What I am saying is that when you are ready to post the schematic of the mult-light circuit then we can talk about how we are going to do it. I am not going to design a test circuit to test a circuit that doesn't exist. That's just the way we work here. Do your homework , post the circuit you want to test , and we'll go from there. I am not going to discuss it until you post your schematic, however simple it may be. It is just a matter of standard procedure. I don't see why that is asking too much. It's not a case of I'm upset because you didn't post it. I have no feeling about it whatsoever. I just have a standard operating procedure I follow and that is part of it. That's all.

Mistress @raschemmel, I think you are being a little too strict -put away the whip.

@vstrat, I don't understand how you think that the voltage "below a certain threshold" will tell you that a bulb or a fuse has failed.

My guess is that the car systems apply a low voltage (or perhaps full voltage for a very short pulse) to the circuit and then measure the current that flows knowing the resistance of the various bulbs in the circuit (if there are bulbs in parallel). If the resistance of the circuit is wrong it will show up as an incorrect current.

...R

Drat !

CMOS EXOR GATE WILL WORK with dropping resistors.

Hi vstrat

Are you looking for an open circuit failed bulb / failed wiring to be detected without the 24V being applied by the switch?

Or do you want the failure indication when the 24V is applied? I know you could look at the bulb to see if it is working :slight_smile: but maybe the bulbs are not visible from the operator's position.

EDIT Which makes me also ask, how long is the wiring from switch and battery to bulb?

Regards

Ray

Thank you for your answer.

The bulbs are not visible from the operator’s position.

I have attached a simple schematic just to clarify on the circuit. In practice the batteries will be located about 5-6 m away from the switch-board and the bulbs not less than 3-4m away from it. There will be a main circuit breaker between batteries and the switch-board (distribution panel).

There is no need to use the arduino for powering (switching on/off) the bulbs via relays. The arduino will be used only for testing. So probably the operator must first try to switch on and pass 24V to the line.

Anyway I dont mean to have someone to give me a solution. I am just asking either for guidance or for discussion if someone has already faced a similar project.