Some questions about Arduino Mini

Hello guys,

I am new to Arduino, I am working on a project about Arduino mini right now.

The project is about convert the Arduino Mini board into a paper(printed photo paper with ink), that means I need to redesign the whole board (Such as change the component into a bigger size and to make it easier for soldering)

Now I got some questions.

1, As I redesigned the board, I switched all the component (Ordered new from internet) including the Atmega 328.

I just wonder, finally if I finished the soldering the circuit. Do I need to install any firmware (Like BIOS in PC) to set up? If so, which file do I need to install? and how can I install?

1. As I found in original eagle file of arduino mini, it includes a crystal with four pins(x2 16MHz), but the pads are under the crystal, so that it is very difficult to solering. As a result, my supervisor suggest me to change into another package, but recently i can only find one (package hc49s) in stock, but it has two pins. That means I am not able to connect the crystal into ground.

Will it effect my testing if I do not connect the crystal into GND ?

Sorry that I have a lot of questions.

Hope anyone who knows it can give some tips to me, thanks in advance!

2pins.bmp (191 KB)

4pins.bmp (169 KB)

Do you have a schematic of your setup?

I just wonder, finally if I finished the soldering the circuit. Do I need to install any firmware (Like BIOS in PC) to set up?

It depends on your setup. How will you program the '328? ICSP?

As I found in original eagle file of arduino mini, it includes a crystal with four pins(x2 16MHz), but the pads are under the crystal, so that it is very difficult to solering. As a result, my supervisor suggest me to change into another package, but recently i can only find one (package hc49s) in stock, but it has two pins. That means I am not able to connect the crystal into ground.

That would be a Crystal. The original Pro Mini uses a Resonator. If you are going use a Crystal, you will need 22pF caps on each leg connected to GND.

Yes, it won’t work…

1.jpg

codlink:
Do you have a schematic of your setup?

I just wonder, finally if I finished the soldering the circuit. Do I need to install any firmware (Like BIOS in PC) to set up?

It depends on your setup. How will you program the '328? ICSP?
Hello!

Thanks for your post.

1. Yes, I might say it wrong. what I am going to do is try to program on the circuit which I made. I read the website few minintes ago. The normal saying should be “bootload” the board (Because I ordered a new Atmaga 328), so I need to bootload it in order to make it programmable later. Am I right?

Can I just based on the steps on this link:http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/MiniBootloader

As I found in original eagle file of arduino mini, it includes a crystal with four pins(x2 16MHz), but the pads are under the crystal, so that it is very difficult to solering. As a result, my supervisor suggest me to change into another package, but recently i can only find one (package hc49s) in stock, but it has two pins. That means I am not able to connect the crystal into ground.

That would be a Crystal. The original Pro Mini uses a Resonator. If you are going use a Crystal, you will need 22pF caps on each leg connected to GND.

Yes, it won’t work…

1. could you please tell me what is the difference between a crystal with and without GND? what gonna happen when it without a pin connect to GND? I attached the two kinds of connection (two pins without GND and four pins with GND)

Hope you can look at it again, thanks!

2pins.bmp (191 KB)

4pins.bmp (169 KB)

in both of your shematics, all the pins are connected to GND in some way, whether straight to GND or through capacitors. It just won't work without the Crystal or Resonator connected to GND in some way.

codlink: in both of your shematics, all the pins are connected to GND in some way, whether straight to GND or through capacitors. It just won't work without the Crystal or Resonator connected to GND in some way.

ok, in my design, I can see the crystal is connect through capacitor(2 pins).

So I think it will work well like the crystal with 4 pins which 2 of the pins are connected to GND directly. Am I right? :)

thanks

Yep.

codlink: Yep.

thanks,

how about my first question. could you please help me to look at it again.

what I am going to do is try to program on the circuit which I made. I found out some related information on Arduino official website. The normal saying should be "bootload" the board (Because I ordered a new Atmaga 328, not pre-burned), so I need to bootload it in order to make it programmable later. Am I right?

Can I just based on the steps on this link:http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/MiniBootloader

You need a programmer. That link you posted used a AVRISP MKII. I have one and there pretty good. FOr what you are doing, no you don’t need a bootloader.

Do you have a ISCP header on your board?

codlink:
You need a programmer. That link you posted used a AVRISP MKII. I have one and there pretty good. FOr what you are doing, no you don’t need a bootloader.

Do you have a ISCP header on your board?

My supervisor said he has two stuff available right now

1. FTDI Basic Breakout - 3.3V (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873)
  2. FTDI Cable 5V (FTDI Cable 5V - DEV-09718 - SparkFun Electronics)

So I guess I need a AVRISP MKII in order to bootload it. Am I right? Otherwise I can not even program on the circuit which I made.

No, a FTDI will do just fine.

Here's a tutorial about it: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/245

codlink:
No, a FTDI will do just fine.

Here’s a tutorial about it: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/245

hello, nice to meet you again today

As I checked this cable can be used for program your Arduino Pro, Pro Mini and Lilypad.

Not Arduino Mini :frowning:

so what do you think ? Any other suggestions?

thanks