Some XBee Questions

Hey everyone,

I know my question is going to be sort of broad but I’m just seeing if my idea is possible before I dive into more arduino stuff.

I want to have some XBees set up so that when the info on one is updated, it is sent to the next XBee in range where that XBee (Xbee 2) sends it to XBee 3, and so on.
I guess it could be tough to get an idea of but I’ll explain better.

We have one XBee and arduino at friend 1’s house. Friend 2, 3, and 4 have the same setup at their houses. Friend 1 is about 500 meters away from yours. XBee 1 sends some info to friend 1, where he now has the updated info. But friend 3 and 4 are out of range of your set up. So now that friend 2 has the info, his set up sends it to 3, 3 sends it to 4, and so on if there are more set ups.

This means that any of the friends can send info to the other ones. For example friend 3 can send info to 4 and 2 and 1 just like 1 can.

I don’t know if this is considered a mesh network, or if it has a definition at all but I’m just wondering if it is possible with arduinos and XBee’s.

Thanks a ton

Edit: Do I have to have a “coordinator”? And also is there a limit of devices that can do this?

Yes, should be possible, and yes this is a sort of mesh (with only one route but still)