Something like a metal detector.

Hi all,

I am already working on a transmitter and receiver with the RF module at 433MHz, I figured out that part already. However, I would also like to make the receiver to able to lead me to the transmitter. It starts to beep when a signal is detected and the frequency of beeping changes as I move towards or away from the transmitter. What extra hardware do I need?
It is either there is a way to measure the signal strength that is received, or I have to attach another type of transmitter on my transmitter and detect it with my receiver with another kind of receiver attached to it. The 1st option would be better but if there is no way around it, that the 2nd one would be fine.

It is all about knowing the signal strength.
The very cheap RF modules don't have that, you need a more sophisticated transceiver.

Peter_n:
It is all about knowing the signal strength.
The very cheap RF modules don't have that, you need a more sophisticated transceiver.

So can you suggest a transceiver so that I can check how much it cost? My budget is kinda tight.

The question of range finding using radio comes up every few days on this forum, and the answer is always "you can't". Search for forum for lots of posts explaining why.

Radio hams play this game it is called fox hunting. One person hides with a transmitter and there is a race to find him. It could be over a range of 20 miles or so.

Mainly this involves directional antenna, and you move the antenna until you find
the null point not the maximum because a null is more sharply defined. This direction is plotted on a map and you go off to another location to get a cross baring.

It gets very tricky when you are close to the transmitter and reflections make it difficult to home in exactly.

Given it is difficult for a bunch of humans, what do you think your chances are of getting a machine to do it?

ahh, those geeky ham operators,,,, reminds me of when i dated one's daughter.....

Do tell! Don't leave us hanging!