Something went very, very wrong! HELP!

I was messing with my Uno and some NeoPixels. I was working with setBrightness and they suggested I use some FastLED thing for another NeoPixel so I did, and the whole program became unresponsive. Then I removed all the Fast LED stuff (back to normal setBrightness stuff) and now only one flashes one time. I then plugged in a serial output to see where it was going and it would abruptly start milliseconds after starting and there were a bunch a square text and strange strange stuff.

I’ve now cut my code WAY back and I’m desperate because nothing is working now.

I need help!

#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>    // including the library to mess with the adafruit stuff: idunno

int cycloNum = 0;                 // something to hold the info of the cyclotron
#define CYC_PIXELNUM  8            // number of pixels on the cyclotron lights (each light)

Adafruit_NeoPixel cycloPins[] = {
  Adafruit_NeoPixel(CYC_PIXELNUM, 2, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800),
  Adafruit_NeoPixel(CYC_PIXELNUM, 3, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800),
  Adafruit_NeoPixel(CYC_PIXELNUM, 4, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800),
  Adafruit_NeoPixel(CYC_PIXELNUM, 5, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800),
};

char const* deleteThis[]={" AtRest ", " Firing ", " Overheat "," Shutdown "}; // using it to test the state machine

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);             // for serial print (testing)

// cyclotron init
  for(int i=0;i<=3;i++){
  cycloPins[i].begin();            // prepare the data pin for NeoPixel output
  cycloPins[i].setBrightness(100); //adjust brightness here
  cycloPins[i].show();             // this initializes all the NeoPixels to an initial “off” state in case some were left lit by a prior program
  }

}

void loop() {
  cycloLightPixel();
  cycloCycle();                           // rotate array to the next cycltron light

}

void cycloLightPixel(){
  for(int i=0; i<=CYC_PIXELNUM; i++){
    cycloPins[i].setBrightness(100);
    cycloPins[cycloNum].setPixelColor(i, 255,0,0); // RED // setPixelColor(n, red, green, blue)
  }
  cycloPins[cycloNum].show();
  for(int y=255;y>=0;y--){
    cycloPins[cycloNum].setBrightness(y);   // change the brightness for next time through the loop:
    cycloPins[cycloNum].show();
    delay(4);
  }
}

void cycloCycle(){
  if (cycloNum <=3){
    cycloNum++;
  }else{
    cycloNum = 0;
  }
  Serial.print(" Cyclo#: ");
  Serial.print(cycloNum);
}

Words like "some NeoPixels", "some FastLED thing", "Fast LED stuff", "a bunch a square text and strange strange stuff" is not a very clear way to ask a question. Try framing your question with data that might actually be helpful in assessing what the problem might be. Good answers require good questions...this isn't one of them.

Start over, get something simple working and work your way back up.

Then, if you are still having troubles, read the "How to use this forum" post, and follow the directions.

Tebasaki:
I've now cut my code WAY back and I'm desperate because nothing is working now.

That's when it's time to take a spare UNO and spare devices (this neopixel thing), and start with something simple..... to make sure that things are working at the simplest level. Then build up from there.

That's what I'm was freaking out about. I get small milestone crossed, get it working, then save that iteration, copy it, and continue.

However, it seems I bungled it way up so when I went back to get an old save, it didn't work the way it did before. I didn't know if the RAM filled up or what!

Even with the code I have posted, I can't figure out why (it doesn't cycle the gems like before or when I'm getting way different colors other than red).

have you set you serial monitor window to the same speed as you have the arduino serial port.

How fast do you think the arduino can run this complete program?

does this really do what the text says?

cycloPins*.show(); // this initializes all the NeoPixels to an initial "off" state in case some were left lit by a prior program*
if it really does turn the pins off wouldn't that ?????????