sometimes Eagle is just plain aggravating

more often than not, i have to save what i am working on extremely frequently, as Eagle seems to just up and die (stops responding, and shuts down). i have just now updated to 3.6.3, so maybe that particular bug is now fixed.

unfortunately, my last schematic i was working on when it died, is corrupted and can't be read. so sadly, i have to re-draw it from scratch.

just venting. >:(

~Travis

Hi Travis.

I don't use Eagle so i don't know that trouble.
But these things happen.
So i just save projects with addition of a version number to the filename whenever i made a change.
Version numbers change different, depending how large the change was.

This might get you a lot of files to handle, but it will prevent the total loss of all work like you just experienced.
And also, if a major change wasn't what you had in mind, you just need to go a few files back and branch in a different direction from there.

Of course you can also make backups of all files you're working on, in shorter intervals.

i have just now updated to 3.6.3

The current version somewhere between "7.6" (if you're trying to stick with a pre-subscription version) and 8.6 (current version.)

my last schematic i was working on when it died, is corrupted and can't be read. so sadly, i have to re-draw it from scratch.

Can't you recover from one of the .s#1 files? (This requires some manual renaming, I think.)

:o That’s what those files are?!? honestly, the thought never occurred to me they were backups.

Yep. foo.b#5 is your 5th most recent save. It can be very handy, although it could be easier to use…

I wrote this neat little shell script to use the backups, together with a gerber viewer, to help visualize changes that had been made to a board…