Sorry my incompetence - Ethernet Shield w/ or not PPPoE [SOLVED]

I know it is a very basic question :~, but I really can't understand the price differences and the different capabilities.

What can I do more with a PPPoE module installed?

Thank you :sweat_smile:

Luca

I don't think you mean PPPoE. You mean PoE. That provides power for the Arduino over the ethernet cable.

That extra 10 € it's only a matter of power supply? Can i power all the thing via the 6mm plug Arduino Uno or the USB?

olimex:
That extra 10 € it's only a matter of power supply? Can i power all the thing via the 6mm plug Arduino Uno or the USB?

Yes. I power mine with the power jack or usb. I don't have PoE on my shield.

Can we clarify this thread. PPPoE / PoE
Are we talking about PPPoE - Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet or PoE Power over Ethernet.
PoE is as it says is a way to get power to an Ethernet cable. I prefer to go without PoE unless there is a really compelling reason.
I think this thread is about PPPoE - Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet which is linked in with DSL modems and if that’s what you mean and need then I guess decision made. Networking gurus can go to town on PPPoE.

PoE allows you to power your Arduino via the network-cable: Power over Ethernet - Wikipedia
To use you need a PoE-Enjector or PoE-capable switch on the other end of the ethernet-cable

I didn't know the meaning both of PPPoE and PoE, now it's all more clear.
I'm going to buy a standard shield without PoE.

Thanks to all of you! XD

Luca