Sort shells based on size

Hello!

I’m new to Arduino but I got some experience with coding.
I’m currently working on a school project and we are looking for some advice on how to solve our problems.

We are trying to build an automated size sorter, who sorts large shells in three different sizes. The shells are passing by on a conveyor belt and should be sorted into different boxes. We are planning to use three dc engines to cut them off and push them off the conveyor belt.

Our idea this far is to use a camera/laser pointing down on the belt and analyzing the size of the shells. Then using the correct engine to push them off the belt further down the belt. (by timing the speed of the belt and knowing how long it takes for the shell to reach the engine)

Does anyone have a better idea on how to solve this. And is it even possible to use a camera like this with the arduino?

Thanks for any help!

scallop.png

No way to do this with any current Arduino.

You will need a Raspi or better.

An Arduino could control the actuators, but not do anything with video.

Whandall: No way to do this with any current Arduino.

You will need a Raspi or better.

An Arduino could control the actuators, but not do anything with video.

I understand! Thanks for the help.

Specifically what are the shells? Pasta? Is it absolutely necessary to use a camera? - Scotty

scottyjr: Specifically what are the shells? Pasta? Is it absolutely necessary to use a camera? - Scotty

Its king scallops, so they vary from 10-16cm in size. No, it doesn't have to be a camera, that was just our first idea. But they aren't always coming down the conveyor belt in the same positions and they aren't round, so it have to be able to measure the longest length, if you know what I mean?

From the title of your posting, I thought you were running an ammunition reloading factory.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: From the title of your posting, I thought you were running an ammunition reloading factory.

Haha, yeah I can see that it could be misinterpreted! But sadly it is as boring as seashells.

The Pixy (CMUcam5) is Arduino compatible and can independently track variously colored blobs.

The camera is color-trainable and returns the number of pixels in a recognized blob, so I think you could do this project with Arduino.

jremington: The Pixy (CMUcam5) is Arduino compatible and can independently track variously colored blobs.

The camera is color-trainable and returns the number of pixels in a recognized blob, so I think you could do this project with Arduino.

Thanks for the tips mate. I'll be sure to explore the possibilities with that camera and the Arduino.