Sound Controlled lights

Ok So i need help on making the program for sound controlled lights, I am using a Arduino Micro REV3.
I am using pins 2, 3, 4, and 5. 2, 3, and 4 are the lights, 5 is the Mic. i want it so that when ever it senses over 100 Db, a light from one of the 3 pins flashes. i am not new to arduino but new to more dense programs.

plasmafart:
Ok So i need help on making the program for sound controlled lights, I am using a Arduino Micro REV3.
I am using pins 2, 3, 4, and 5. 2, 3, and 4 are the lights, 5 is the Mic. i want it so that when ever it senses over 100 Db, a light from one of the 3 pins flashes. i am not new to arduino but new to more dense programs.

I think I would approach it by first making a circuit that rectifies the output of the microphone (amplified if necessary), using the DC to charge a capacitor across a resistor (calculated or trial and error values), and feed the result to an analog pin. The LEDs can be programmed to stay on, once triggered, long enough to allow people to see them.

Ok, thanks for your reply, i will be still looking on this post. great idea Btw

i am not new to arduino

Don't take this the wrong way but with only 6 posts on the Arduino forum it is hard to believe the above statement.
Arduino is an Open Source Architecture , both HW & SW , so the basic naive premise the rest of have is that if you
know something, help someone who doesn't. If you've been using an Arduino for some time and ignoring the rest
of the world then you're not sharing. If you knew nothing, there would probably still be some people you could help
that know less....
That being said, if you're not new to Arduino then you should know the drill here on the forum.
When you post here on the forum requesting help, you are expected to provide a complete package of information
on your problem, objective etc.... and state the problem.

So i need help on making the program.....

Correct me if I am wrong here but what you should be saying is :
"So i need help on making the program, because I got nothing, and I don't know where to start...."
If this statement is NOT true, then you need to upload your entire program, whatever that is.
Next , you need to identify your equipment. "A Mic" is a bit vague. Can you elaborate ? are we talking
about the cheapest mic from RadioShack or an American Bandstand quality microphone ?
Do you have a pre-amp ? Can you connect a microphone directly to an arduino analog
input ? (Resolution=5V/1023=4.8mV). A Karoake machine makes a good preamp. Also , there are
many amplifier ic's available ; LM386 just to name one. Then you need to rectify the AC output of the pre-amp
and convert it to analog dc using a low pass filter. You have stated the dB level threshold but have
not specified the frequency band or range that would include the noise you are sensing. Does that mean
you don't know if it will be a low frequency sound, high freq or mid-range ? If you knew that it might be
useful.

raschemmel:
Google

is this link correct? it just sends me to google... could be my browser...

Yes that's right, because everything on
that Google page is relevant.

You have several challenges to tackle here:

First, what's your signal chain? What's your mic? Bare electret capsule, or if this is a PA application, are you tapping off an audio feed?

Do you know how to get useful analog values from AC audio sources? Not a trivial problem to solve for a beginner.

Finally, how are you calibrating your mic level to a dB level?

Agreed.
I think one of the these would simplify things considerably.
http://www.miniinthebox.com/high-quality-arduino-microphone-sound-detection-sensor-module_p903301.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&gclid=CPKlx8ry77sCFTDhQgodX0QA-A

The dB level issue is probably the last thing he needs to think about right now.
Until he can measure sound reliably it is probably a moot point. I don’t know any cheap ways to calibrate and measure dB.

You can compare with a reasonably-accurate SPL meter, if it doesn't need to be reference quality. Like you said though, bigger fish to fry first. :slight_smile:

raschemmel:

i am not new to arduino

Don't take this the wrong way but with only 6 posts on the Arduino forum it is hard to believe the above statement.

Don't take this personally but what has post count have to do with experience?

I think the post count simply indicates a desire, or lack thereof to interact with the rest of the Arduino
community. It's up to you to make what you will of it. But here we are. Someone is asking for help.
They are "not new to Arduinos" but there is no code uploaded. Nothing. There is no information other
than "a mic" and 100dB. Does that show experience ? You tell me.

raschemmel:
I think the post count simply indicates a desire, or lack thereof to interact with the rest of the Arduino
community. It's up to you to make what you will of it. But here we are. Someone is asking for help.
They are "not new to Arduinos" but there is no code uploaded. Nothing. There is no information other
than "a mic" and 100dB. Does that show experience ? You tell me.

It's got nothing to do with it. Everyone has their own way of doing things, and if he doesn't feel the need to help others, that's his business. If he doesn't post a lot, that's his business.

Judge him for what he has or has not posted if you want, but it shows more about you than it does about him.

What does it show about me ?
Are we not judged by what we post whether we like it or not ?
Help me understand why I am wrong to think that if you ask for a favor , you should return it in kind , if not
to the same person, then someone else. Is it wrong to have principles now ?

raschemmel:
What does it show about me ?
Are we not judged by what we post whether we like it or not ?
Help me understand why I am wrong to think that if you ask for a favor , you should return it in kind , if not
to the same person, then someone else. Is it wrong to have principals now ?

You don't have any knowledge about the OP. If you don't like the ratio of his postings to his asking for help, don't help.

Yes, we are judged by what we post, and that includes judgemment of you, by what you post. I've judged you by your posts.

I won't argue about it. Feel free to have the last word, but remember, judgement goes both ways.

Ok. You got it then.