Sound Installation with Fibers

Hello everyone! I'm working on a sound installation in which I´ll be using a relay to switch through 12 active speakers (Computer speakers). I have an arduino due, a sainsmart 16ch relay and the 12 speakers. I have never use relays before and I am a bit confuse as to how the hook up will be.

I did some attempts last night but:

1. I connected the sainsmart to a 12V power supply and the Due to the computer. Then from the Due I connected pins 2, 3 and ground to the relay. It wasn't switching until I connected the 3.3V from the Due to the 5V on the sainsmart. It works but I'm not so sure that's correct, the heating up of the Due re affirming my suspicions.

2. I disconnected the Due from the computer, but kept the rest of connections... It kind of works, the LEDs on the sainsmart switching. I'm just not sure it is doing it correctly.

I have on idea on how to connect things to make it sound. Plan is to take the stereo out from the computer and have the relay switch which speakers will play the audio. Any help will be much appreciated, I don't want to break things and I'm feeling very insecure about this project.

Thank you so much for your help!

I was intrigued enough to search for the Sainsmart relay module and found the "download manual" button. It's a .rar file! That's rare. I'm not going to find a decompressor for .rar just to read a manual for a product I don't have and will never buy.

If anyone has a link to a manual in a readable form, I'll come back and address the original question. It does sound like a workable plan once you get the relay module powered properly.

That relay module has optos, but they are only ornamental (to fool the buyer ?).

The 12>5volt buck converter on that relay module could certainly fry the Due processor if you connect VCC and ground of that relay board to the 3.3volt supply of the Due.

It might work if you connect relay VCC to the 5volt pin of the Due, don't know.
This is really a 5volt only board (The Due is a 3.3volt Arduino).

That 16-channel relay module has been the center of discussion many times here.
The designer must have been an intern/noob, and that module shouldn't be on the market in it's current shape.
Leo..

MorganS:
I was intrigued enough to search for the Sainsmart relay module and found the "download manual" button. It's a .rar file! That's rare. I'm not going to find a decompressor for .rar just to read a manual for a product I don't have and will never buy.

If anyone has a link to a manual in a readable form, I'll come back and address the original question. It does sound like a workable plan once you get the relay module powered properly.

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the manual and inside only comes a read me with the dimensions and 2 pdfs, one with schematics and the other with the pcb design. I did find a link with a detailed labeling of the parts of the relay. (http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.image.smart/download/101-70-C01/101-70-103.jpg)

I also have an arduino uno, maybe I should try with that instead of the due?

Wawa:
That relay module has optos, but they are only ornamental (to fool the buyer ?).

The 12>5volt buck converter on that relay module could certainly fry the Due processor if you connect VCC and ground of that relay board to the 3.3volt supply of the Due.

It might work if you connect relay VCC to the 5volt pin of the Due, don't know.
This is really a 5volt only board (The Due is a 3.3volt Arduino).

That 16-channel relay module has been the center of discussion many times here.
The designer must have been an intern/noob, and that module shouldn't be on the market in it's current shape.
Leo..

Thank you for your reply! I read that too. As I said, I did some test last night but felt really uncomfortable with the connections. It works, but the Due processor heats up. The board is still functioning, but I didn't try today as I fear I may fry it, since I have no idea how to approach the connections properly.

I tried connecting the 5V from the relay into de 5V pin of the due, it doesn't switch. The LEDs of the relay stay on, they only turn off if I connect the 5V from relay into 3.3V pin on the Due. When it switches there is no clicking sound unless the Due is connected to the computer.

I've seen the other posts on that board too, but I think the approach varies depending on project, that's why I was motivated to post on the forum.

Like I said, I have an Arduino Uno available with which I could try, my fear is I kill it, since it is not mine (I don't want to damage the Due either, I recently bought it for another project and decided not to use it there, I want it to last me at least for a while :slight_smile: )

Did you ever check how the speakers react when you switch them by use of a relay? I’d guess that you need some fader circuit for switching audio channels.