Sound sensing using small (or BIG) sound sensor

I am trying to build a sound sensor to detect the sound of termites or other wood enemies in our wooden dining table. Should I be using the small or the BIG sound sensors? I want to record faint sounds over the night. Thanks.

HananY:
I am trying to build a sound sensor to detect the sound of termites or other wood enemies in our wooden dining table. Should I be using the small or the BIG sound sensors? I want to record faint sounds over the night. Thanks.

Can we expect you to eventually tell us there is an Arduino involved with this task?

Paul

Of course, Paul. This is why I've been asking about Arduino sensors.

HananY:
Of course, Paul. This is why I've been asking about Arduino sensors.

Must be in the invisible ink!

Ok, I guess an appropriate "sensor" would have to be a microphone. Do you know if you put your ear to the table wood, you can hear the buggers?

I suspect you have already researched the frequency range needed to "hear" the bugs, so has that given you any potential sensors to use?

Then, help us to know what the Arduino is supposed to do in this project.

Paul

A piezo disc as contact microphone could work.

Leo..

Thanks WAWA, I will try that.

Paul, I am going to build a sound recorder that will record digital data and sounds. The arduino will serve to send the data to my computer screen so I can monitor the sounds just by looking at the data - not having to sit and listen the whole night.

HananY:
Paul, I am going to build a sound recorder that will record digital data and sounds. The arduino will serve to send the data to my computer screen so I can monitor the sounds just by looking at the data - not having to sit and listen the whole night.

What's the point of the Arduino?

HananY:

If you had told us this way back in the first post, we could have avoided a lot of back-and-forth postings.

Paul

An Arduino could record trigger events.
The “knock” sketch in the examples of the IDE could be a start.
Leo…

Aside from totally not understanding why someone would want to listen to termites if they already know they're there instead of doing something about the problem, I still don't see the point of the Arduino when a proper computer will be right there and running.
Seemingly wants to record the 'data' on a PC. Maybe imagining leaving IDE's serial monitor open all night?