Sound sensor either too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

P.S: New around here, forgive me if this is in the wrong forum.

I have one of these exact sound sensors: Sound Detector. I conneted it up following this tutorial: LED strip + Sound tutorial. In the diagram, all the Vcc pins are connected up to Vin. This means, when I power up the Arduino, even in the quietist room, the sensor will, still produce a value from 0, approx. 400, and display it on the LED strip, making the sensor extremely sensitive. The problem with this is that it looks like I am faking the lights and randomly making the lights jump up and down, even when there is no sound. When the Vcc pin from the sound detector is plugged into the +5v, it reacts the same way. yet when I plug it into +3.3v, the module acts how it should - when quiet nothing is diplayed, when there is sound it will pick it up and display it on the strip. The only problem is that it isnt that sesnitive when running on +3.3v. You would need the mic to be no more than 2 inches away from your speaker running at almost full volume, for it to really properlly display something.

Is there a way I can increase / decrease the sensitivity depending on where the sound detector is plugged into in the Arduino. I would prefer a way to decrease the sensitivity.

Note: I have tried the knob, it doesn't visibly change anything.

Thanks, Dream

There is [u]always[/u] sound, even in a room that you think is quiet.

There are two outputs on the microphone module. A0 outputs an audio signal similar to "line out" on a music player but is always positive, as the analog input cannot be used for negative voltages.

The other is a digital output (DO) with a sound level threshold. The "knob" adjusts that threshold, but does not affect the A0 audio out signal.

Look around for tutorials that use just the microphone and produce printed output, so that you can learn what you are actually dealing with before adding the LED strip.

I will look at this mic in more detail and how to use it!

Thanks,
Dream