Sound Trigger

You all are amazing and I am grateful for your help.

What hardware or advice do you have for the following;
A simple project to detect a certain type of sound, then it would trigger a motor.

Example, when my dog barks, a motor will turn and opens a sliding door where food comes out. Obviously that’s not what I am building, but you get the idea.

That’s all. Any advice on hardware, sound detectors, links etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sorry but that is not the sort of thing that is possible with an Arduino. In fact it is almost impossible on any amount of processing power. This is why speech recognition is so poor.

that sounds odd.
Didn’t think it will take that much to just match a sound to another.
I will keep digging. What if I just want to trigger when it hears any sound at all. What would be your advice then?

Thank you

Are you able to google “arduino sound sensor”? When I do that all kinds of things come out.

To recognise a specific sound like a dog barking, but reject/ignore a van driving by or phone ringing is a high bar to pass and as Grumpy_Mike grumped, very likely outside of the ability of an Arduino even for a very clever duck. If you just want to build a “clapper” then the results of the aforementioned search will get you going.

What if I just want to trigger when it hears any sound at all. What would be your advice then

Yes that is simple enough, use an envelope detector between the microphone / amplifier and Arduino. Many sound sensor boards come with them built in.

Teach a dog to bark and food comes out, there will be a lot of barking.

There are many dog feeder project threads on the forum.