sound; using 2 arduinos to double resolution?

Hi ive been looking into the wavetable synth applications of arduinos, and learned (correct me if im wrong) that the processing speed -of in this case the arduino- limits the sampling rate of the sound that is generated.

The following came to mind; isnt it possible to have two arduinos running parallel, and use a slight delay + altered wavetable to double the sampling rate? or am i overlooking something here?

Sampling the data is not the only issue. You need to store the sampled data somewhere. The Arduino does not have enough memory to store much data. Storing externally, to external RAM or SD card takes time, of which you do not have enough.

So stepping up to a processor with more power would be the best option it seems. I came across the arduino compatible Maple from leaflabs.com (see info below). I was wondering if somebody could explain at what sampling rate this could run the wavetables. (ultimately i would like 3 wavetable oscilators, but for now im trying to figure out if this is the way to go)

32-bit ARM Cortex-M3
microprocessor at 72Mhz
20KB RAM and 128KB Flash
16 Analog inputs at 12-bit resolution
15 PWM pins at 16-bit resolution

What sort of frequency and resolution are you looking for? You may simply have the wrong approach.

since its for musical (though its just a hobby project) purposes, it would be desirable to have a frequency range as big as possible (audible is between 20 and 20.000 hz?). I dont have a clue of what would be a acceptable 'resolution' though - thats one of the things im trying to work out. I know that i prefer the smoother sound of audio (and oscillators in synths) at 16 or 24 bit, and at 44100 for example, but it is hard to say for me at what point a wave becomes too 'rough'.

@AWOL; what other approaches are there? i am just reading about a external DAC, will that give an advantage?

Another solution someone suggested was to only generate square waves and build a external waveshaper circuit. Problem with this however is that this would provide me with just the basic waveforms (analog synth style) and i loose the creative possibilities of a wavetable.

Any suggestions?

i am just reading about a external DAC, will that give an advantage?

Not an advantage but absolutely essential for what you want to do.
As said the arduino is not the processor for this application. I would say that 32-bit ARM Cortex-M3 would be able to delver 3 wave table oscillators at 44 Ksps. And you will need a 16 or 24 bit D/A.