Source cheap RGB LED connectors (or 4 pin connectors)

I'm looking for a source to buy cheap 4 pin connectors for 5mm RGB LEDs. I've found some sources for RGB LEDs but the prices are crazy expensive at $4-6 per connector.

I'm thinking that some kind of 4 pin connector would work just fine but I'm not sure what to buy.

The ultimate connector would allow me to connect and disconnect the LED and could be extended to 24 inches.

Thanks!

The ultimate connector would allow me to connect and disconnect the LED and could be extended to 24 inches.

Not necessarily, extending high speed logic signals over lengths of wires is not always easy.

I am not sure why you want sockets anyway, it's only four pins and a quick dab with a soldering iron will suffice.

Grumpy_Mike:

Not necessarily, extending high speed logic signals over lengths of wires is not always easy.

I am not sure why you want sockets anyway, it's only four pins and a quick dab with a soldering iron will suffice.

This is sort of an art project (actually a magician's prop for a children's routine). I want to construct a little tree about 24" tall and place LEDs in the branches and do some pretty color sweeps and chase sequences. Therefore the wires may be up to 24" long between the PCB and the LEDs. I thought it might be convenient to run the wires through the tree and be able to connect and disconnect. Is that length going to be a problem?

As a complete noob to this electronics, I'm guessing that the best set up might be to solder 4 - 24" wires to the LED leads and place a 3 pin connect on the RGB leads. This a single pin connector to the common cathode. I imagined that I would solder on a 16 pin header for each TLC5940 and a separate header with enough pins for cathode leads. Any guidance would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

Wires

terminated ends plug into housings

that slde onto pins

or female sockets

or find the long tail version of same, such as might go on a shield,
which Pololu does not carry for some reason.

That makes sense.
There are many connectors that will do. Most of them are sold as a plastic shell with pins or sockets that are crimped on to multy stranded wire.
Start looking here:-

How much can 28GA carry? I need to know for another project. Wondering if 2 conductors of ribbon cable will carry enough current.