Sourcing soft headphone cable

Does anyone knows where I can get same kind of cable that's used in headphones, i.e. very easy to bend? With 2 or more stranded conductors inside, doesn't have to be shielded... Appreciate any suggestions :slight_smile:

Any decent supplier will list "extra flexible cable" - both for power and audio. So where in the world are you, perhaps
someone will point you to a relevant supplier with a good range of cables.

I think you would be looking for a multi-strand cable with silicon insulation. The usual PVC type insulation is what makes them stiff. Put the word "silicon" in your search and you should eliminate the stiff cables.

Thanks! Sorry I didn't mention, I'm in USA.
I actually eventually found (more or less) what I was looking for. There's wealth of info on head-fi.org forums, form there I found out that two brands make one of the best audio cables: Mogami and Canare.
Following that trail, I found two stores that sell them: markertek.com and redco.com. I don't work for either one, just sharing info I found today :slight_smile:
Markertek seems to have tons of selection, while Redco just looks cleaner. I ordered several of different cables from both stores as well as some high quality 3.5mm plugs (Neutrik and Switchcraft seem to be all the rage). I'm actually buying a lot of DC panel jacks made by Switchcraft (on digikey) and they are excellent quality (a bit on expensive side tho).
Anyway I ordered these cables:
Mogami W2893 (has 4 multistranded conductors and shielded) which used a lot for DIY headphone cables and supposed to be ultra flexible.
Canare L-2B2AT (2 strands and shield). I chose this one solely on it's thickness, didn't see any reviews for it.
I also bough Mogami W2490 Ultraflexible Miniature Console Audio Cable to build IR blaster. I know it's an overkill cable for a simple IR diode, but I saw no cheaper alternatives. This cable is super thin too, so it would be perfect to hide in living room.
It might be useful for other Arduino projects where a durable flexible professionally looking wire is needed

I was actually surprised how difficult it was to find this information. No other site other than head-fi seem mention anything about DIY headphone cables. I hope this post will help someone :slight_smile:

lemming:
I think you would be looking for a multi-strand cable with silicon insulation. The usual PVC type insulation is what makes them stiff. Put the word "silicon" in your search and you should eliminate the stiff cables.

If you want something flexible I'd suggest "silicone" instead. :wink: