Sparkfun 16x2 LCD and wire length limit?

I am using a Arduino Leonardo and sparkfun 16x2 LCD parallel version with the hd44780 controller
would it be safe to go about 6 feet?

Which Sparkfun LCD? Link?

From reading other posts in the past I would say that you are likely to have problems. I don't think that the specific parallel LCD module that you have will make much difference.

Don

I don't think the length of a wire would be an issue with the LCD screen. I think libraries that are written for the LCD could handle any length.

I don't think the length of a wire would be an issue with the LCD screen. I think libraries that are written for the LCD could handle any length.

It's not so much the length (which implies the resistance) but the capacitance between the parallel signal wires. The longer the length the greater the capacitance and therefore the more distortion there is in the digital waveforms. Welcome to the real world.

Don

You can slow down I2C fairly easily, which may ameliorate the capacitance problem. Dropping the speed and adding pull-up resistors may get you up to 6 feet. Try it and see.

And he could go even further with an RS232 type serial interface -- but he specifically asked about a parallel interface.

Don

Oh yeah, where did I get I2C from?

Oh well, I suppose you could slow down a parallel interface too.