SparkFun Artemis

Is the Sparkfun Artemis a good MCU overall? What types of projects would it be best for?

Depends on what you'd want to use it for, but it looks like a decent, contemporary and fairly powerful uC module.

Er...that's kind of an odd angle. It's like asking "what roads would this Volkswagen be appropriate for?" What you generally do, is determine the requirements of a project and then decide what technology choices you have to make.

Thanks for your opinion! You’re right the second question really depends on
the specific project.

From,Owen

One thing to keep in mind when evaluating something like the Artemis is the level of community support. I don't know about the Artemis specifically (which in itself is an indicator), but in general you will find that there is a small list of microcontrollers the Arduino community as a whole knows very well and has produced a massive amount of resources (e.g., libraries, tutorials) for. Examples include (but by no means limited to):

• ATmega328P
  • ATmega32U4
  • ATmega2560
  • ATSAMD21G18
  • ESP8266
  • ESP32

Once you venture outside that core list, you will find that, even though the board manufacturer might have excellent software and technical support, some 3rd party libraries don't work, people on the forum aren't able to help, Google searches don't return many results...

For some Arduino users, this community support level is more important than the technical specs of the hardware.

Others may have no interest in or need for assistance from the community, being perfectly happy to write their own low level code and consult the datasheet for information. They may even welcome the challenge of exploring new hardware and the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the Arduino project by being a pioneer in the work to add one more to the list of parts the Arduino community has embraced.

Well, it's designed to support Bluetooth LE.
Bluetooth modules like the one on the Artemis boards have been a "hot item", with many different vendors offering some "new, better than everyone else" module.
I've watched and bought several. And watched them be discontinued not long thereafter :frowning: (Arduino 101 using Intel Silicon, "Simblee", ...)
IMO, the Artemis is likely to last longer, being somewhat more tightly focused on the "maker" community, rather than "everyone." (for example, Simblee and the Intel Curie were both itty-bitty modules, while the Artemis is more hobbyist-friendly.)

I'm not sure it will hold up against the ESP32x modules, though.

And I haven't tried one yet. They're on my 'to-buy' list, though.

Thank you everyone for your information and opinions.

From,Owen