Sparkfun FTDI Breakout Boards

First off, sorry if it seems like I’m posting alot… I’m making a pcb, and I have alot of questions.

For the Sparkfun FTDI cables and boards, how do I connect the TX and RX? As in are they like the Arduino Mini usb board, where the tx goes to tx, and rx to tx? Or do I switch them?

For the Sparkfun FTDI cables and boards, how do I connect the TX and RX? As in are they like the Arduino Mini usb board, where the tx goes to tx, and rx to tx? Or do I switch them?

Lots of room for error as standards and documentation can be confusing and not consistant at times. Basically what you have to ensure is that a output pin wires to a input pin and visa versa, any other connection will not work. :wink:

Lefty

But that’s my point… It’s labeled “Tx”… Does that mean that they inverted it for us so that we do tx to tx, or is it normal tx to rx, rx to tx?

But that’s my point, you can’t always go by the labels especially when dealing with two different manufactures. It takes a little research looking at datasheets, pin numbers, and example schematics. It can be figured out but there is no simple rule that covers all manufactures equipment and device useage of their signal labels.

Lefty

My natural assumption would be that a device that has a pin labelled Tx is transmitting through that pin, outwards from the device. It is the device that has the label, therefore it is the device that is transmitting using that labelled pin. That’d be my starting point.

Ive use the ftdi basic for one of my boards.
It is rx to tx and vice versa.
I had already put this together on a breadboard.
Its a good way of ironing out questions like this.

If its any help I have a schematic of my project here:
http://scratchpad.thisandthose.org/scratchpad/article.php?story=20100715160140327

Gordon

Ok, I got it. I checked the schematic, and it is tx to rx and vise versa, as you guys have stated. Thanks!