Sparkfun Pro Mini with OSEPP FTDI Breakout board - direct connect?

Hi All,

I've been struggling with this for a bit. I have a SparkFun Arduino Pro Mini (5v) and a OSEPP FTDI breakout board.

http://osepp.com/products/breakout-board/

There's a DIP-type socket on the FTDI board that theoretically allows it to piggy-back direct onto the 6 end pins on the Pro Mini by orienting them next to each other (in landscape mode) on the breadboard.

But when I look at the pin out labels on the two board pin out labels, it seems like they are opposite. i.e. the two boards do not have compatible pin outs...?

For example, on the Sparkfun Pro Mini board the pin outs are labelled (left to right):

BLK GND VCC RXI TXD GRN

And on the RTDI board (oriented the same way):

GND CTS VCC TXD RXD DTR

So with this DIP socket on the OSEPP board in use to connect the two boards, the following pins are hooked together (FTDI -> Arduino):

DTR->BLK RXD->GND TXD->VCC VCC->RXI CTS->TXD GND->GRN

It would definately save me a lot of room on the breadboard if I can hook up the two boards directly use the DIP socket, and I definately do not want to have to run 6 wires between the boards. I asked this question elsewhere, but from purely a cabling perspective.

To complicate things, the OSEPP version of the Pro Mini board 'appears' to have a different pin out than the Sparkfun board:

GRN TXD RXI VCC GND BLK

See where my problem is? :P

Can anyone confirm for me that I can connect the two boards (OSEPP->Sparkfun) together using the FTDI DIP socket? Or did the OSEPP 'conveniently' reverse the pin out to force me use their two boards?

Thanks for any advice! Corey.

No, you will need a cable. They all connect direct (VCC to VCC, Gnd to Gnd) except RX and TX which crossover so you get RX->TX and TX->RX.