Speedy line follower ( Due/ Raspi/Launchpad, which to use?)

Hey Guys!!! First post here!!

So i am researching on building a Line Follower, PID based, and want to learn a few bits from the Wise Ones....

I currently own an Uno R3, the Mega 2560, Due, a Raspberry Pi and a Stellaris Launchpad.

Now i have the most experience with Arduino, so for this project that was my first choice. Started looking around, reading a few bits (haven't researched quite well on the topic though) but i have a few questions.

My original plan is i) Home Made reflectance array, Analog Output atleast 7. ii)2x 1.5 Volt DC geared Motors, Motor Shield to drive these Connected to an Arduino Mega 2560 (mainly chosen because of greater number of Analog input pins) with a light chassis.

How much does the Microcontroller Frequency affect performance (speed) in an application as a Line Follower? And would the absence of a FPU on any of the Arduinos affect performance when using PID controlled, when compared to the Raspi and the Stellaris? I need good speed on the Line follower's part. I know there are issues like Overshoot and Efficiency of Algorithms, but when i make this, what would be the best so that the speed is practically good?

Regards

You wouldn't use the Raspberry Pi for something like that. It runs linux, which is not a real time operating system.

@tomC Linuix may or may not be an RTOS (what ever that is) (please give a link to a good working definition of "RTOS" ).

For a line follower you need to check you are still on the line maybe every 10th of a second so any of the micros to the OP will be fine.

Microcontroller Frequencies above a few kHz should be fine.

Mark

For a line follower you need to check you are still on the line maybe every 10th of a second so any of the micros to the OP will be fine.

The more often you check, the faster you can go. The ability to turn quickly will be a more important factor, though, I think.

And for those with problems with the concept of using Linux as a RTOS the following article is a must read. Note that its from 2005!.

http://www.drdobbs.com/soft-real-time-programming-with-linux/184402031

Mark

I suppose I will have to clarify my position...

When you have an Uno, a Mega, and a Due to play with, those would be a far better option when you have to do things such as control the speed of multiple motors accurately.