SPI clock frequency when using ADC

I'm using a Microchip MCP3201-C ADC (analog to digital converter) in an audio sampling circuit. The datasheet says that the maximum SPI clock frequency for communicating with the IC is 1.6MHz at 5V operating voltage. For my application, I'd like to communicate faster at 2MHz. I am wondering what the ramifications of exceeding the datasheet's clock frequency might be.

Can using a 2MHz SPI clock speed possibly damage the IC?

Or would exceeding the 1.6MHz speed simply cause the analog sampling to be less accurate? I can certainly understand that the datasheet's stated INL and DNL performance characteristics would not be guaranteed if I overclock the communication. But accuracy isn't necessarily critical for my application, and I can't hear any audio sampling quality difference between SPI speeds of 1MHz, 2MHz, or even 8MHz.

In short, if I'm satisfied with the performance, is there any danger that I can damage the IC by using a 2MHz SPI clock speed? Thanks for any insight anyone might have!

You won't damage things, but you may lose bits, and isn't that the whole point? This spec probably is based on a large sample of chips and the temperature so your chip and temperature range may be OK, but why take a chance?

Thanks. I’m really just trying to figure out if it is possible to damage the IC by overclocking. Seems unlikely. The reason I might want to “take the chance” is that I can’t accomplish my goals by limiting myself to 1MHz clock. I need more speed, and that’s why I’d like to go faster, at the possible expense of some accuracy.

Using software SPI, you could achieve a 1.6MHz clock, right at the limit of the specification.

nootropic: Thanks. I'm really just trying to figure out if it is possible to damage the IC by overclocking. Seems unlikely. The reason I might want to "take the chance" is that I can't accomplish my goals by limiting myself to 1MHz clock. I need more speed, and that's why I'd like to go faster, at the possible expense of some accuracy.

Its not running at any significant power level so over clocking won't risk burning it out.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

nootropic: Thanks. I'm really just trying to figure out if it is possible to damage the IC by overclocking. Seems unlikely.

No, that's absolutely impossible. You're not even 'overclocking', you're just using a clock divider that people wouldn't normally use for data transmission.