SPI clock pin state before/after transfer in different modes

I want to connect a digital potentiometer (MCP4251) to my UNO and the chips interface uses either SPI_MODE0 or SPI_MODE3 . I also have a different chip connected that uses SPI_MODE1 so I will need to change modes to talk to either chip. The question is though does the SCK pin always sit in a known state after a mode change because the datasheet says...

The MCP4XXX SPI’s module supports two (of the four) standard SPI modes. These are Mode 0,0 and 1,1. The SPI mode is determined by the state of the SCK pin (VIH or VIL) on the when the CS pin transitions from inactive (VIH) to active (VIL or VIHH).

so I will need to have a consistent SCK pin state to know if the chip enter mode0 or mode3 protocol.

so I will need to have a consistent SCK pin state to know if the chip enter mode0 or mode3 protocol.

Yes, you will. So, set it to the state you want before you set the CS pin's state.

PaulS:

Yes, you will. So, set it to the state you want before you set the CS pin's state.

Thanks PaulS