SPI library is not the proper one

Hello: I have been trying to use some old examples that need SPI library (e.g. PS3 controller with USB host from Felis) but when I try to compile them I get error 'Spi.h not found'. When I use Arduino 1.0 or earlier versions of the IDE I see the SPI library has SPI.h file, and since it is case sensitive it does not work. If I change in the code Spi.h for SPI.h I get many errors because the functions definitions are not the same. I have tried to find the correct Spi library but without success. CAn anyone tell me where to find it or if there is another old version of the IDE that works with these examples? (I've tried down to Arduino 0017 without success)

Thank you Rafael

Your post title is very misleading. There is nothing wrong with the SPI library for any given version of the IDE.

You simply need to use the same version of the IDE that the libraries you are using were designed to work with, OR you need to upgrade all the obsolete libraries that you are using to the version of the IDE that you are using.

Since “(e.g. PS3 controller with USB host from Felis)” is so vague, the decision which way to go needs to rest with you.

I have been trying to use some old examples that need SPI library (e.g. PS3 controller with USB host from Felis) but when I try to compile them I get error 'Spi.h not found'.

How does not being able to find a library relate to some other library being wrong?

Just repeating your original information doesn't help. Were you given the sketch on a CD? Or did you find it on the web? If you found it on the web, post a link!

SPI library should be with your IDE as you unzipped it. All the standard libraries should be there. They may not be in the directory where your IDE looks for libraries.

In the IDE, try Sketch->Import Library and see if it's not there to click. It should.

I apologize for the inconveniences about the title and body of my message. I have changed the title to a new one that I think is more acurate and I’ll try to explain my problem in a better way. I did not mean that the library had any error, I’m not that techie to say so.

I’m using Arduino 1.0 and want to use a library and example for the USB Host Shield and Bluetooth dongle. There are some different versions you can get from Internet and some files have the line:
#include <Spi.h>
but the file in the Arduino library is SPI.h, so when I try to compile it, it gives me error ‘Spi.h file not found’. Then if I change the line to:
#include <SPI.h>
and compile again it gives me more errors due to functions or data not defined.
This is why I think there should be an older version of the SPI library than the one in Arduino 1.0, but I have not found it.

Thank you
Rafael

This is why I think there should be an older version of the SPI library than the one in Arduino 1.0, but I have not found it.

The libraries that you are trying to use rely on some specific version of the IDE. It's a shame that the original authors have not maintained them to work with newer versions of the IDE.

You can upgrade each library to work with 1.0, or you can contact the original authors, and try to get them to upgrade them. Or, you can use the version of the IDE that libraries are designed to work with.

That's so much characteristic of the internet, isn't it? Here today, gone next year, only relevant for part of the time anyway. Really a lot like people too.

The SPI library that came with the Arduino 1.0 release works, you just need to make sure your updated libraries are in the right location. When I un-zipped Arduino 1.0, it placed the new libraries here: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.0\libraries

My sketch was setup to look here: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Arduino\libraries

So, I just moved the new files over to the old library location.