SPI or parallel interface simpler for UNO and 1602 type displays?

Greetings! I have just started playing with the Arduino - did a few projects with C and PIC's about 20 years ago. My question is about overhead using serial to talk to the LCD. My project will be analog data logging with oversampling (averaging a lot of readings) - the 10 bits may work well enough, otherwise I'll have to use an offboard A/D.

Without having to use another IIC device, I am thinking it would be simpler to use the 4-pin interface bits + the control bits to the display, to save I/O. In other words, put the learning curve for IIC out awhile.

What does using IIC do to available memory (RAM and EEPROM) in the UNO? I am hoping that he UNO will be enough for awhile without "upgrading".

From what I could find, the Aduinos all have 10 bit A/D's. Is this correct? Oh, I would love to have at least 2 more bits.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Bill

The Due and the Zero have 12-bit ADC capabilities
See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/AnalogReadResolution

MrBill57:
In other words, put the learning curve for IIC out awhile.

There is no learning curve for I2C, and not having other items to use the system is not an excuse for not using it. There may be some memory price for using it but nothing that anybody talks about and, if the difference becomes apparent, it is time to move to a Mega anyway.

Thanks Nick and UKHelibob... I have some teeny (spelling?) devices that I want to move the code to after I get it working, so package size is important. The Zero (what a name?) looks great for bigger pin count and the extra bits are attractive. I'll see how the UNO performs then decide if I need to move to an external A/D or bigger board. The IIC opens up the opportunity for RTC and other useful things on the bus.
Thanks!