Sprayer controller

Hello,
I'm new hear, so I didn't find something similar, so I open new thread, just to ask is it possible to make with arduino, computer for flow control for agriculture sprayer ? Something like this in video https://youtu.be/t9E0G-WYdOM?t=20
So I set liters per ha, and computer with 2 known functions, which are speed and flow meter, will control/change pressure, via electro motor.
https://agromehanika.si/storage/app/med ... 11-ENG.pdf

zli:
Hello,
I'm new hear, so I didn't find something similar, so I open new thread, just to ask is it possible to make with arduino, computer for flow control for agriculture sprayer ? Something like this in video https://youtu.be/t9E0G-WYdOM?t=20
So I set liters per ha, and computer with 2 known functions, which are speed and flow meter, will control/change pressure, via electro motor.
https://agromehanika.si/storage/app/med ... 11-ENG.pdf

Sure, it's possible. Do you want to do it or hire someone to do it for you?

Can we guess there is a pump on the electric motor? Where does the speed come from? Is your spray currently being powered by an electric motor and pump? Will you need to turn the spray off/on quite often?

If you are going to measure spray per ha, you need to know the width of the spray pattern.

Paul

First I was thinking that someone give me some direction what to read for start, because I don't have any clue about programming, only in high school, long ago I learn some functions, "if, than else..." which still means that a have no clue about arduino. But now it's start my season of work on field, and I don't have much time to read, but if some is willing to help, that would be great.

Pump is mechanical, and its irrelevant for programing. Pump only gives water, but electro motor is relevant, because it's use for adjusting pressure In relation to change speed which can be measured with inductive sensor, or via GPS speed, from navigation. Flow sensor measure amount of water which flow to electro valves.
Yes, it must be turned on/off very much time in one day. That depends on the size of the field.

"First I was thinking that someone give me some direction what to read for start, because I don't have any clue about programming, only in high school, long ago I learn some functions,"

What you want to do is probably possible by some method, but it is probably not a beginner project, and might not be for you per your above quote. You can start by getting an arduino board and working on small projects first to learn how the board works. You actually need very little hardware wise to develop your code. Some hookup wire and a couple of jumpers, a pot (potentiometer) for analog input testing, an inexpensive multimeter for measuring analog voltages and high/low on pins, and the serial monitor. With that you can start developing and verifying your code as you go. Get each part of the project working on its own (like making a pin high/low), then start combining them.

There are two big issues here. The programming, and the electrical parts.

First thing for you to do is be able to read your flow sensor. Without knowing which exact sensor you intend to use, can't give much comment on that. Sensors with electronic output are generally quite easy to read with an Arduino or other microcontroller. Many water flow meters produce a pulse output: count pulses and you know how much water has passed; keep track of time and you have the flow rate.

Next is control of the speed of the pump. Unless that pump has some kind of electronic speed control or electronic on/off circuit in place already, you'll have to create that part as well. With the talk about agricultural fields I don't think you're talking about a 10W 12V aquarium pump but more likely a mains powered kind of electric motor for your pump, making that very hard for a beginner in electronics. So unless your motor is designed for electronic control signals, you're pretty much dead in the water. So make sure your pump has this ESC, and then figure out how to control it with your Arduino.

The final programming of the whole thing sounds rather straightforward to me, nothing special there. If you have the first two steps working that'll be the easy part.

With every project, a simple outline of the project should help to make it simpler to understand.

The idea, as I under stand, is to use GPS and know where you are in a field.
High spots, low spots, good soil, bad soil, those are not known by the GPS.

Using a GPS with Arduino is common and there are a lot of tutorials on how to do that.

For this project, one might put the GPS on the tractor and run up and down the fields while plowing and record the path and the locations of the field.

I have no idea how to bring this into the computer to map it.
But, using coordinates, one might be able to say that between two coordinates, the concentration of spray should be 2x, but between these other coordinates, it should be 1x.
Maybe this is field one and field two, or corn and beans, or a high dry area or a low and wet area.
Again, this is not part of this simple outline, just a comment that it exists.

PART 2 :
A pump exists and may be controlled by a PTO, or electrically. The pump creates pressure and the pressure is used to allow a spray at the spray heads.
PRESSURE is something that is easy for an Arduino to work with.

NOTE : ALL, and that is ALL work with an Arduino requires some source of information. When using external sensors, the higher the quality of the sensor, the more accurate the information.
A problem for first projects is to get a sensor that does not have the needed resolution. Get a yard-stick or a meter-stick and try to measure the thickness of a hair or a piece of paper. That is trying to use a sensor that cannot see the changes in the process.

With a spray nozzle, there should be a DATA SHEET, these show all the engineering data.
At 1 pressure, a flow of 7 may be achieved, at a pressure of 2, it might deliver a flow of 28, at a pressure of 3, it might deliver a flow of 96

With the data sheet, you have a starting point. It is not always perfect, but it is much better than just guessing.

That takes us to the pump. Again, controlling a pump motor is something that great at.
However, the ARDUINO only sends out simple and low power signals. It does not output the power to run the motor, just a signal. To run the motor, you need to have a DRIVER. These are often found with the motor. Many motors show what is needed to drive them. Some are as simple as a switch or a relay, some require much more complicated power circuits. For an AC motor, like on a pond pump, the simple fact that it is AC and if one wanted to control the motor speed, one would need to use a VARIABLE SPEED DRIVE. These can take the low voltage of the Arduino and convert that into an AC power signal to run the motor.

There special DRIVERS for almost every type of motor and there are a LOT of types of motors. So identifying the TYPE of motor is important to be able to select a driver.

CONTROLLING PRESSURE:
The idea of controlling pressure is often thought of as controlling the motor speed. Some motors do not like to have the speed controlled, and some drivers are very expensive. So, other ways are considered.

One such way is to use a RUN-AROUND loop. This is a pipe that goes from the output and runs back to the suction, or the tank. When the pump is running, some of the flow can be sent back to the tank, while the rest goes to the nozzles.

And, controlling the amount of pressure going out to the nozzles can be controlled by controlling the flow going back to the tank by means of an automated valve. The automated valve can be controlled by the Arduino and the motor can run at full speed.

The problem is that the motor runs at full power, even if only 1/4 of the power is needed. So the expense of running the motor is higher than if the motor speed were to be reduced.

This means that there are two ways to control the pressure in a system. The one that is right for you is something you have to decide.

The THIRD thing is the human interface.
Using a touch screen, or push buttons is something that an Arduino can do, and there are lots of tutorials for them as well.

So, there are the three major break downs of the project.

The GPS could be something you do not require if you are driving the sprayer. You could just push a button for high speed, a different for medium and a different one for low speed.

You could just use a hand turn valve to control the pressure and use the Arduino to display the pressure.

========
Back to how we can help.
First, you need to figure out what is most important to you. There are 3 basic things, each is achievable as a stand alone thing. When you want to put them all together, the work becomes more complex.

My typical approach is to do the easy thing first. Say get a pressure sensor and a display and then measure and display the pressure. You may be able to use the data sheet from the nozzle and display both pressure and flow rate.

And then get a hand valve and pipe that in as a return valve and use the valve to control the pressure.

the next step would be to get a GPS and a data logger and log the GPS location and the pressure you set.
This would later be used for automating the system.

Just take one step at a time and you will get to the goal.

The way I see this is that you will want to measure ground speed, possibly with the GPS
Measure location, again, with the GPS
Use the GPS coordinates to set the pressure.
For pressure
Monitor the pressure
For flow,
By some means, motor speed controller, run-around loop, or some other way, control the pressure.

In the end, at some GPS coordinate, the pressure might go from 1 to 1-1/4, then to 1-1/2
The Arduino would be able to send those signals.
The speed controller would be able to get those signals and then control the speed.