SSD1306 showing snow

Hi!
I am going mad.. I try to solve an already solved thing.. I have a bunch of displays and some funny sketches for them. Magically I have suddenly (after 2 years pause) a problem getting them to work.
The big(er) display is just showing snow - and a very tiny line of what it should show- looks like wrong resolution, but as far as I can see it is correct resolution.
To check I assempled a smaller display, everything is fine there.. Whats that?

I use the demo sketch from adafruit for this, I tried all resolutions, but it wont help.

Hi!

too many pizzas or burgers maybe... Adafruit_GFX has caught some weight.

If you re-compiled your code, did you check for warnings considering memory usage?

Your code might just got stuck because of stack space usage overflow.

Just a guess.

Jean-Marc

Hi
Yes I checked, everythings fine. It is the Demo code from the library. And this code works fine with other displays. As soon I click this display-type in it shows snow.

Go on. Be specific. i.e. what library, which example, ..., what Arduino, ...

Yes, your photo looks like a 128x64 I2C SSD1306 with a Nano-mega328P
But you could have provided the accurate information. e.g. example name

Incidentally, copy-pasting the Library and Memory Usage lines from a verbose compile tells us a lot. And with minimal effort on your part.

David.

Looks a bit wide for an SSD1306.

The wider, 1.3" displays, are more normally SH1106 based.

Although the

Hi BetaCarotin.
With my (cheap, Chinese) SSD1306 devices (these are 128*64 OLEDS) I always use Olikraus' u8g or u8g2 libraries. The Adafruit demos almost always crash.
success, Photoncatcher

srnet:
Looks a bit wide for an SSD1306.

The wider, 1.3" displays, are more normally SH1106 based.

Although the

Ahhh yes it could be SH1106 , because the sketch ran with the smaller 0,96"-ish display before, thx

photoncatcher:
Hi BetaCarotin.
With my (cheap, Chinese) SSD1306 devices (these are 128*64 OLEDS) I always use Olikraus' u8g or u8g2 libraries. The Adafruit demos almost always crash.
success, Photoncatcher

Funny, it was vice versa for me when I first wrote the sketches, the u8g was not easy to implement to oled in terms of update w/o flickering etc. Even if it should be easy. It ran a lot better with the adafruit, then. But theses displays may be a bit diffrent. I´ll try the other SH 1106 driver first. It is so mindboggeling..I experienced this failure quite some times- and I do not remember what was the cause..

photoncatcher:
The Adafruit demos almost always crash.

If you can not identify the display you make insubstantiated claims.
In the world of Trump you can just lie through your teeth.

@BetaCarotin,

Seriously, please post a link to the actual display that you have bought. You will get accurate advice.
Even if you can't remember the purchase, you can search Ebay, Ali, ... for the identical item. Compare the link photos with the pcb on your desk. Then explain that it "looks identical" in "that" link.

Libraries are easier. You just say: Adafruit_GFX version x.xx and Adafruit_SSD1306 version y.yy with example
ssd1306_128x64.ino

Yes, it takes a few minutes to use the Library Manager or paste the "usage" lines from the build report.
But you get the accurate reply within minutes or hours. (instead of multiple messages over days)

Yes, occasionally Adafruit release a duff version. But it is generally fixed quickly.

Yes, Oliver's U8g2lib is very good. Caters for lots of different hardware. We still need to identify your display so that we can advise the correct constructor.

David.

Hi David,
Yes- you are right. I cant identify the displays. I thought they would have been the same I used before but they seem to be a different batch. No markings, names or numbers- I will try diffrent libraries now and see what it gets me.

When Instotenthe initial post I did not think about that someone could not use the newest library. And loading every example sketch and getting the same result let me to not stating wich sketch does not work- because none works.

It is maybe just a ”to cheap hardware”-problem

Go on. You have the display pcb in front of you. Just do a search on Ebay, Ali, ...

Your eyes will recognise similar items. Follow the link and compare front, pcb, dimensions, ...
I bet you will find the identical item within a few minutes.

Post that "looks like" link. Readers will offer advice. Or at least offer informed guesses.

This is a much easier strategy than trying to install random libraries, random sketches, ...

If and when readers have recommended the suitable library, constructor, ...
you can run all the library examples. And confirmed whether everything is 100%.

David.

Hi,
Exact same issue here. I am using Adafruit_SSD1306 library v2.4.1 today.
I made it work fine with u8g2 library using constructor "U8G2_SSD1306_128X64_NONAME_F_SW_I2C".
As BetaCarotin, I can not find any mark or label to identify this LCD.
Any help welcome.
Thanks,
JL

Adafruit_SSD1306 library is intended for SSD1306 displays.

You have a 1.3 inch SH1106 display. i.e. different make, different controller

I suggest that you use Olikraus's U8g2lib library which does support the SH1106

Note that "Adafruit_SH1106" was not written by Adafruit. It is a third party library which has not been active for over 4 years. There are several Forks though. Perhaps one of these Forks has been actively maintained.

David.

It Works better as a SH1106. Many thanks David for your help.