sshd-server (not dropbear) and ServerAliveInterval

Hello all,

I am trying to install django_twilio on a Yun and am having issues with dropbear ssh; i keep getting "Write Failed: broken pipe” during installation of phonenumbers-7.0.2. I never could find a configuration file for dropbear, so I installed ssh-server with opkg. Now the issue is that I can not add ServerAliveInterval nor ServerAliveCountMax settings to ssh_config. The sshd from openwrt for the Yun does not support the server keep alive option. The work around I am trying to use is to have two ssh sessions open with one running the installation of django_twilio and the other running top to try and keep the session alive.

Anybody have a ideas how to correct this?

Thank you in advance, Murrah Boswell

otrcomm:
Hello all,

I am trying to install django_twilio on a Yun and am having issues with dropbear ssh; i keep getting "Write Failed: broken pipe” during installation of phonenumbers-7.0.2. I never could find a configuration file for dropbear, so I
::::SNIP::::
Anybody have a ideas how to correct this?

Thank you in advance,
Murrah Boswell

@otrcomm,
Start over.

1. Why are you trying to install django? Most of the times this is an overkill.
  2. Can you talk about the installation of phonenumbers-7.0.2?

TIA
Jesse

@jessemonroy650

I thought I needed django_twilio to get sms texting working through Twilio on my Yuns. I have since discovered that I do not need it. I installed the twilio python modules with twilio-python-master.zip and I can send text messages.

The only time I got the "Write Failed: broken pipe" message was when I was trying to install phonenumbers-7.0.2 as part of django_twilio. It always happens at the same place: ... ... ... Running phonenumbers-7.0.2/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-ZXIZhT/phonenumbers-7.0.2/egg-dist-tmp-TG76Zf warning: no files found matching 'MANIFEST' warning: no previously-included files found matching '.*ignore' Write failed: Broken pipe

where the "warning: no previously-included files found matching '.*ignore'" message sits for quite a while without any activity before the "Write failed: Broken pipe" message is raised.

I am going to load the YunAVRToolchain today and see if I can compile and upload sketches to 32u4 side during a ssh session.

Thanks for your response. Murrah Boswell

otrcomm: The only time I got the "Write Failed: broken pipe" message was when I was trying to install phonenumbers-7.0.2 as part of django_twilio. It always happens at the same place: ... ... ... Running phonenumbers-7.0.2/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-ZXIZhT/phonenumbers-7.0.2/egg-dist-tmp-TG76Zf warning: no files found matching 'MANIFEST' warning: no previously-included files found matching '.*ignore' Write failed: Broken pipe

where the "warning: no previously-included files found matching '.*ignore'" message sits for quite a while without any activity before the "Write failed: Broken pipe" message is raised.

This is a classic case where giving full information and posting the entire error message is very helpful.

Previously, you stated you were getting a broken pipe message. In reality, I think the problem is the warning messages that appear before the broken pipe message. That process failed, and went away. The inter-process pipe was left open, and it eventually timed out. I think the broken pipe message is not the error, it is the end-result of the error.

The real problem is that installing phonenumbers failed, and the django_twillio installer didn't know how to deal with that failure, so it finally failed in a non-graceful manner. (Or something along those lines -- the key is what happened just before the broken pipe.)

It's the cause and effect: it's like saying that you were on the phone with your girlfriend, and the line went dead. It's hard to tell why. But then hearing the rest of the story that just before that you said she was an ugly witch, and then she screamed at you, it's pretty easy to figure out that the line went dead because she hung up on you! ;)

@ShapeShifter -

It makes sense that the installation of phonenumbers-7.0.2 died before the "Write failed: Broken pipe" message, but I do not know how to get debugging information when executing a setup.py script.

BTW, I never said that my girlfriend was an "ugly witch," I said that she was a lonely, self-centered, elitist wallflower.

Thanks for your response, Murrah Boswell

otrcomm: but I do not know how to get debugging information when executing a setup.py script.

Me either. :(

BTW, I never said that my girlfriend was an "ugly witch," I said that she was a lonely, self-centered, elitist wallflower.

ROFL

Different cause, same effect. ;)

otrcomm: @jessemonroy650

I thought I needed django_twilio to get sms texting working through Twilio on my Yuns. I have since discovered that I do not need it. I installed the twilio python modules with twilio-python-master.zip and I can send text messages. ...

If you are in North American(US, Canada), you could send out SMS at no cost.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=210326.0

@sonnyyu -

Thanks, that saves lots of grief. I just want to send sms within my local scada network if there is a critical issue detected by one of my monitoring sensors.

Now though I have lots of issues with Yun Shields, but I guess I need to take those issues to the dragino folks.

Murrah Boswell