SSR beginner

hi i have been given a box of components including a load of these , see attached.
Its the same looking al thought the code is 7592 instead.
I want to use these if possible to turn on a lamp using the blink example.

Could someone give me a diagram on how to wire these up please using an arduino mega.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

Solid-state-relays-3-18VDC-input-OPTO22-gordos-lot-10.jpg

[quote author=Stuart Faust link=topic=63775.msg463821#msg463821 date=1307880081] hi i have been given a box of components including a load of these , see attached. Its the same looking al thought the code is 7592 instead.

7592 is most likely a date code, made in 1992.

That would be easy, as long as what you are switching on and off is powered from AC voltage.

Could someone give me a diagram on how to wire these up please using an arduino mega.

Pin 3 wires to arduino output pin of your choice, Pin 4 wires to arduino ground, Pins 1 and 2 wire in series to the AC power wire feeding your lamp.

[/quote]

I found this:

http://www.bakersfieldads.net/Quailwood-/Food-and-Foodservices-/Solid-state-relays-3-18VDC-input-OPTO22-gordos-lot-10.JSP

Apparently, the specs on this device are (from the link above, in case it goes away):

Hamlin Solid State Relays Model# 7178 3-18VDC Control, 24-240VAC 3A Output

So you can control AC devices, as long as they run on 24-240 volts (AC), and only consume 3 amps. Small lamps and other small appliances should be OK, but check their specs first.

Also, Stuart Faust, if you don't have any experience with AC mains current, I strongly suggest you do some more reading on the subject, and perhaps get some help locally from someone you know who does have experience. AC mains is not something you simply "play around with".

Furthermore, you should take precautions to keep your wiring to the SSR as neat as possible. These SSRs are meant to be put on a PCB, so you should keep that in mind, and also keep in mind to keep the low voltage side of things (the Arduino control pins and wires to the SSR) as isolated from the AC mains side of things as possible. If you directly solder wires to the SSR terminals (not really recommended, but doable), make sure you put heat shrink tubing or some other coating (liquid tape or similar) over the terminals to prevent shorts or possible shock hazards. It is better, though, to put the SSR on a PCB with screw terminals on opposite sides of the board, soldering all junctions.

:)

will the arduino deliver enough current to switch the SSR ok

how much current can the arduino supply for extended periods ?

Gadget999: will the arduino deliver enough current to switch the SSR ok

Yes it will. Most SSR input circuits are comprised of a led and a series resistor, so driving a SSR is like driving a led/resistor network.

how much current can the arduino supply for extended periods ?

If you mean how much current can an individual output pin supply, then it's absolute max is 40ma, however for continuous use 20-30ma is recommended max. There is also a 200ma total current for all pins + processor use limit.

ty :)

retrolefty: [quote author=Stuart Faust link=topic=63775.msg463821#msg463821 date=1307880081] hi i have been given a box of components including a load of these , see attached. Its the same looking al thought the code is 7592 instead.

7592 is most likely a date code, made in 1992.

That would be easy, as long as what you are switching on and off is powered from AC voltage.

Pin 3 wires to arduino output pin of your choice, Pin 4 wires to arduino ground, Pins 1 and 2 wire in series to the AC power wire feeding your lamp.

[/quote]

Thanks to all , got it working.

I have to use Triac's to face the lamp on and off right? cant just use the SSR?

I have to use Triac's to face the lamp on and off right? cant just use the SSR?

Face = ???

An AC SSR uses a optically coupled triac or back to back SCRs internally. So what is your question really asking about?

Lefty

I wanted to dim the light that i attached using the arduino.