SSR load to Arduino ?

I am going to control a 230VAC water circulation pump with Arduino.

I did find from a surplus store a suitable "Teledyne relays" SSR 615-2H with
control voltage 3-32 VDC and load 250VAC 10A, but just can't find a datasheet
for circuit to see how much power it draws from Arduino. Anyone familiar with that ?
How could i measure it with my lousy Fluke ?

30 ma , so i would suggest a Trasistor ( Plus a few parts) you will be better off and safer :slight_smile:

The input side is an LED and a series resistor, internally.
You won't need a transistor, just connect it to a digital output.

How could i measure it with my lousy Fluke?

If you want to measure the current, get out your milliammeter:
put the positive lead to +5,
put the negative lead to SSR +input,
and the SSR -input goes to Gnd ?
note mA.

Hm couldnt find any data on that relay :slight_smile: What is its current draw, on its input side ? if its is as you said, it will only be 20-25ma. but im guessing it wil be more :slight_smile:

They are normally rated at the maximum DC voltage you can put through them (32V in this case) they’ll use a small fraction of that at 5V from the arduino. Its a small IR led with a series resistor as far as the Arduino is concerned, that’s a large part of the appeal of SSRs. LEDs will usually light up with a small fraction of the maximum forward current (I have some water clear ones that will light up to a notable extent with a 10k resistor from 5V. The currrent is measured in hundreds of microamps…)

nice does it draw its current from its output/load side to accualy drive the realy section ? If thats how there driven thats nice ,, what kind of price range are they ?

I just dug one of mine out of the box and actually measured how much current it draws. Its a non-descript Chinese job off Ebay (about six quid and a fortnights wait). Its supposedly rated for 40A at up to 380V AC, input is labelled 3-32V (pretty standard). It isn't linear, it draws 13 mA at 5volt and 15ma at 9V. I'd have no problem feeding it direct from an arduino pin even at the most conservative 20mA limit (its 40mA max).

Heres a similar one to mine advertised now : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSR-40-DA-Solid-State-Relay-40A-Output-24-380VAC-/310210701517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4839ffa8cd#ht_928wt_1165

Cool , that one of those thing almost worth jus to have laying around, JIC type :slight_smile: