Stand Alone arduino or rip offs?

I just want to make sure everything will work properly. I haven't touched my arduino in a year or two and so when I saw them cheap on ebay, I figured I could buy one or two and keep them inside the project as a permanent solution. Before, I made a standalone "arduino" on a breadboard for each of my projects. I would like to be able to update them easily. Basically, looking for spare boards to permanently attach to my projects.

I found: One, Two, and Three (link to company selling counterfeit boards removed by moderator)

I have no idea what the difference is between these and I currently own the Arduino Uno Rev3. The one with the removable Atmega Chip. I would like to avoid having to build a breadboard arduino and just using the breadboard I have for connections. Any suggestions as to which would work well?

I don't know what application you will be using them in but option 1 and 2 look broadly the same and both appear to use the CH340. Option 1 does work reasonably well.

However both sellers do not seem to know much about their product line and sell everything from jewellery to underwear. I would not buy from either.

appear to use the CH340.

This means that the USB port is not reprogrammable to be mouse/etc, as it would be (theoretically) on an Uno.
(although I think that most people who actually want/need that functionality now use Leonardo or Arduino Micro (Atmeag32u4-based) boards.

hunter2379:

I found: One, Two, and Three (link to company selling counterfeit boards removed by moderator)

98% satisfaction is a bit low IMO… Maybe it is because these guys are selling everything, not just electronics. eBay does have a satisfaction guarantee but for such little money I would not bother.

Have you not looked into the mini?
mini 328P

How would i even program that?

hunter2379:
How would i even program that?

Those things aren't "ripoffs" or counterfeit in the sense that they are silk-screened to exactly match the official UNO, etc boards. They are just knockoffs of so-called open-source hardware, the same as dozens or maybe even 100s of others nowadays coming from CN and elsewhere. Most items from CN anymore are about 10-20% the cost of those made elsewhere, so the cost is as expected.

You probably program it exactly the same as an official UNO board. Plug into your USB port, and select UNO in the IDE. And like Ray indicates, don't expect even zero support from most ebay sites.

It doesn't have a usb connection though. I'll probably just get a regular board for like $5. thank you guys

If you are looking for a module to integrate into a fixed design with USB, the Nano would be the most practical.

Just solder it in to whatever other assembly you require.

hunter2379:
It doesn't have a usb connection though. I'll probably just get a regular board for like $5. thank you guys

Both boards linked in the first post have USB connectors. So I thought they would have working USB. Whatever.

oric_dan:
Both boards linked in the first post have USB connectors. So I thought they would have working USB. Whatever.

I think he meant the Pro Mini that Ray linked, was missing the USB port. But the Nano has it.

I meant the one linked by mrbrunette AKA Ray. Sorry for the confusion.

Have you not looked into the mini?
mini 328P

By the way you guys have been very helpful. So glad I'm getting back into this. Thank you all. :slight_smile:

Oh Duh. The mini looks like you use a regular FTDI cable or FTDI Friend.

It depends.

If you do not need the USB, use the Pro Mini and use the adapter only if you need to debug or change software using bootloader. Or just program without a bootloader using the USBASP.

If you do need USB, use the Nano.