Stand Alone Sprinkler

Has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.havahart.com/spray-away-elite-hoseless-motion-activated-sprinkler-repellent

I would really like one to tear it apart and see what kind of electronic components are being used, such as battery size and pump for sprinkler. They don’t have the best reviews. They have some reviews that are very good, but bad ones for the most part. It is exactly what I need, but I think we can make it stronger, faster and smarter with Arduino. I guess for 100$ i should just get it and tear it apart.

I guess for 100$ i should just get it and tear it apart.

Well looks like a waste of $100 to me. It looks like a pump and a PIR sensor with a bit of tubing. It should cost $10 tops for that.

Grumpy_Mike: Well looks like a waste of $100 to me. It looks like a pump and a PIR sensor with a bit of tubing. It should cost $10 tops for that.

You are right. I can make this with a 5 gallon bucket and some PVC and not have to deal with buying their junk. So many horrible reviews on it.

So my next question. In order to get a 360 field of vision, I could use 4 PIR sensors. Seems like a common one used is the HC-SR501. The datasheet says its view is "Less than 120 degrees". Not sure what that equates to, but if it's close to that, then 4 should be plenty with overlap.

These have sensitivity and time adjustments, looks like they are rheostats.

What would be the best way at combining these? Could I remove the existing ones and wire up all to one? Even with short wires, how would that affect them? Would it be better to choose a different PIR to accomplish some sort of manual adjustment knob?

For something like that which is adjustable for both distance and angle and is weatherproof, $100 is a pretty good deal.

For something that will work for a week or two and needs to be pulled inside for rain, then you can make it a lot cheaper with an Arduino.

Standard PIRs have a pretty well-defined detection pattern. They are also optimised to NOT detect small animals. The animal will have to be close for a good detection. All 4 should share the same power supply. Connect all the output wires to separate Arduino inputs. You could combine the inputs into one with hardware but it's easier to do in software.

It'd be much cheaper to go play with those automatic spraying air fresheners.