Standalone GUI / PC / Programming interface (not realtime)

Evening all,

I do my best not to start topics but have done some searching and am yet to find the answer!

I've built a camera overlay system using the arduino TVout which reads temps and digital inputs etc...
This parts works fine and i have the code set out with variables ready to except the end users specific requirements
i.e
int Camera1X = 0; //Camera 1 Label X position
int Camera1Y = 0; //Camera 1 Label Y position

The above gets called up later in the code and positions the text on the screen at the above co-ordinates.

What i'm looking for is for some kind of GUI on the PC which the end user can set these parameters and then upload straight to the arduino.
I see lots of serial stuff regarding this, but all is lost when the arduino is switched off. I need something which physically changes the code (i.e the .ino file) which is then uploaded.
This will only need doing once so don't see the point of having complex code on the arduino itself.
The cameras are also mounted in awkward & really hot places so the benefit of configuring from a desk is a bonus.

I have thought about integrating ArduinoUploader (command line) to do the compile & upload part.
e.g User GUI --> Compile(ArduinoUploader) ---> Upload (AVRDude)

Has anyone tried this before?

i'm happy to write a program in VB that simply hacks the ino then passes that to the ArduinoUploader via command line which will do the rest unless someone here can point me in the direction of a better way?

Leigh

I see lots of serial stuff regarding this, but all is lost when the arduino is switched off. I need something which physically changes the code (i.e the .ino file) which is then uploaded.

Or, you need to use the EEPROM.

hoggy:
i'm happy to write a program in VB that simply hacks the ino then passes that to the ArduinoUploader via command line which will do the rest unless someone here can point me in the direction of a better way?

I suspect @CodingBadly's suggestion to save the data in EEPROM is sensible.

Since Arduino 1.5.x it is possible to upload programs using command line calls to the arduino - see this Thread where I describe using it with the Geany editor. I'm using Linux but I think it would be quite practical to make a VB program write (or modify) the text for a .INO file and then call the command line to upload it.

...R