Starting out and need project feasibility/guidance

I am wanting to build an entrance music system at my work utilizing RFID. I would ideally like to query a web service to get a sound clip that the user has provided and when that user scans their RFID card I will play the clip. I'd also like a cache option available so the arduino wouldn't have to grab the sound file each time, perhaps just check if its been updated. I am wondering what type of base unit I'd need, if there are kits available to interact with other wireless devices or just wire in speakers to play the music, and which RFID kits are known to work well.

Any assistance or advice would be much appreciated. I just don't want to start down the path with the wrong equipment or figure out what I want to build won't work for some reason.

Thanks for any help!

I would ideally like to query a web service

That part alone is a big job. A UNO, or other 328-based Arduino, may not have the memory needed to construct a SOAP request and handle the response.

to get a sound clip that the user has provided

In what format?

I will play the clip.

Perhaps you’ve not noticed that the Arduino doesn’t have speakers or a sound card.

I’d also like a cache option available so the arduino wouldn’t have to grab the sound file each time, perhaps just check if its been updated.

Cache it where?

The RFID part is the easiest part of the project.

Rpi would be a good choice.. Arduino might be used for reading the RFID..