Startup advice and insight for a beginner.

So I am a brand new member of the Arduino community, and know some basics about the device and code. The plan is to recreate the Poke O Matic. I got into this project primarily as a learning opportunity. I thought the best place to start my electronics tinkering would be Arduino as I’ve heard this forum is helpful and receptive towards newcomers.

So the purpose of this posting is primarily to ask experienced Arduino members which parts need to be used concerning this project. Here is the video to see the setup the original creator used (0:40 and 1:02 are the important bits I am concerned about).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moBGHUfw-Ho.

Before I ask questions, it may be helpful to know that I will be using an Arduino Uno R3.

After viewing those two scenes, I have a few questions for you;

1. When soldering wires onto the 3ds button logic, what types of wires are those?..or does wire type matter?
  2. The Arduino send the signal to the 3ds button logic, and I understand this has to do with level inverters as the Arduino uses 5.0V logic and the 3ds button logic is 1.8V (according to the video). What exactly is needed to make this conversion in logic to the wires attached to the 3ds button logic?
  3. This is the lengthiest one… but can someone give a complete list of parts needed for this job (besides the uber obvious ones like the Arduino and 3ds etc). For the smaller or more specific parts, a link to the part or a model number along with its name would be extremely helpful.

In the video description, the original creator states some of the parts used, but I do not know their purpose, and for some of the more obscure names, I do not even know what they are. Help clarifying the parts he used and their purpose/use would be helpful.

I plan to begin this project in the next 10-15 days as all the parts I need have not arrived yet. This is more of a preparatory measure to make sure I have all the right parts coming in and know how to use them. I understand there are newer iterations of his Poke O Matic, but this video has the most useful hardware scenes. Also, I’d be willing to create whichever iteration, I assume once the controls are in place, the only things differing each version would be the code running the machine.

To any and all that attempt to help me along, I am very grateful for any help you have to offer.

Thank you for your time, Brennan Wells.

1) When soldering wires onto the 3ds button logic, what types of wires are those?...or does wire type matter?

No, the wire type doesn't really matter as long as it's more or less reasonable (wire thick as a finger are not a good choice).

2) The Arduino send the signal to the 3ds button logic, and I understand this has to do with level inverters as the Arduino uses 5.0V logic and the 3ds button logic is 1.8V (according to the video). What exactly is needed to make this conversion in logic to the wires attached to the 3ds button logic?

These are level converters and not inverters and you need exactly that: level converters. In it's easiest form this is a MOSFET and a few resistors but if you're not experienced (your post doesn't look like you are) choose a finished and assembled board that does that. Sparkfun (p.e.) has some (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009).

3) This is the lengthiest one.. but can someone give a complete list of parts needed for this job (besides the uber obvious ones like the Arduino and 3ds etc). For the smaller or more specific parts, a link to the part or a model number along with its name would be extremely helpful.

I don't think this is a good project to start for a beginner. Start with easier things, go through the projects that Arduino starter kits include. With such a project if you make a mistake your 3ds is gone and it's quite probable that you'll make mistakes, that's what you get experience from.

I will tinker around with individual parts and projects before diving completely into this project, but I believe I can figure this out eventually. Thank you for your advice concerning my current position though, I will take caution and probably experiment a bit more before I begin the building.

here's a little something i did: http://youtu.be/je2JdeL2UCA