STAY AWAY FROM MY WINDOWS DOCUMENTS FOLDER

STAY AWAY FROM MY WINDOWS DOCUMENTS FOLDER.

The arduino and lib manager should NEVER touch my Documents folder. No other software does that. My Documents folder is my reserved space, and you have no right going in there.

Arduino is installed to Program Files, as it should be. Any libs added by Library Manager or a 3rd-party package should go into Program Files, AppData, or some other system folder.

I just uninstalled Arduino, and the uninstaller deleted all my sketches -- that's nuts. No software installer/uninstaller should be able to touch my Windows Documents folder.

The uninstaller DIDN'T remove Documents\Arduino\libraries. That's even more ridiculous, especially considering that i checked the "remove all extra stuff" during the uninstall.

bayviewboom:
I just uninstalled Arduino, and the uninstaller deleted all my sketches --

I'm sorry to hear that.

I've never seen or heard of this happening before. When you uninstall the Arduino IDE, it does remove all files from the IDE installation folder, which it warns you about, but it doesn't touch the sketchbook folder. Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using. Are you using the standard version, or the Windows store version?

bayviewboom:
i checked the "remove all extra stuff" during the uninstall.

I've never seen that option before. I just did a test uninstall of both the standard Arduino IDE 1.8.10 and the Windows store version and neither gave me that option. Also, neither one deleted my sketches.

Not seen the "remove all extra stuff" button either.

Some people have reported issues with "protected folder" function on windows 10.
Do you use that option ?

Bob.

The arduino and lib manager should NEVER touch my Documents folder. No other software does that. My Documents folder is my reserved space, and you have no right going in there.

counter argument: Arduino sketches and libraries are source code, and source code files are documents...
I agree that the uninstaller (any uninstaller!) shouldn't have deleted files from Documents, so that needs tracking down, but we need more specific information about which version of the IDE/uninstaller was involved... (Windows App Store, perhaps? Most people don't use that...)

bayviewboom:
STAY AWAY FROM MY WINDOWS DOCUMENTS FOLDER.

You will probably be happy to learn, that the Linux version of the Arduino IDE will never touch your Windows documents folder.

:stuck_out_tongue: