Steampunk Gun - Advice?

Hey guys, total arduino newbie here. Long story short, I'm a student using a 321Maker Shield on a Leonardo board and it's time for my final project.
In short, I'm wanting to make a steampunk blaster gun using only the materials (hopefully!) that my kit came with. I'm essentially making this: Pin by Boo ❤️ on Cosplay Tutorials | Steampunk accessories, Steampunk cosplay, Steampunk crafts

My main idea is that pushing SW1 will make the sound of the gun being shot if the trigger is pulled. And I'd love to get SW2 to make a recharging sound when pushed. I'll probably throw a red LED into that too. Ideally, I want it to be battery run and not connected to my computer... does this sound doable? Has anyone seen a similar project? I'm feeling rather overwhelmed with the possibilities at the moment!

That is absolutely doable. First thing I would personally suggest is possibly investing (they are extremely cheap) in an Arduino nano. A much smaller package, just as easy to upload to and all the same capabilities. This would make the project significantly easier to fit inside of your gun. As for the sounds and LED, could you be more specific in what you are asking? No one here will write the code for you, but if you start a sketch and add it here, someone can certainly help guide you a bit. Unfortunately, you haven't posed much of a question besides "will this work?"

Actually it's the Micro that is the same as the Leonardo, but smaller. They both use the ATMega32u4 chip, so the usb capabilities are built in.

Here is a you-tube lesson on sound effects with an Arduino. That is how I would do blaster noises.

Thank you guys, that's a really helpful start!

Primarily, my question was the it's do-ability. From there, what I had meant with the LED was I could definitely keep the pin lit while the buttons are pushed - would you suggest coding the LED or the buttons first? Does it matter?

AliCat:
… would you suggest coding the LED or the buttons first? Does it matter?

That question does not make sense. The LED and buttons both attach to the controller board. Connect your LEDs, and a button, then program the board so that when you press the button the LEDs do what you want.

From what I understand from your project, a good place to start for you would probably be learning about how to test for a button state. In other words, how to make your Arduino sense when a button has been pushed and when it releases, etc. You can find some good information and sample code to get you started here:

Good luck. Post some pictures when you are done!

Alright people, I've posted a few questions before, but now that I'm ready to build a project... I'm lost.

I'm 100% new to arduino and using a 321maker shield on an leonardo board. Everything I've coded thus far has been on the 321... so now that I have a breadboard and LEDs, I have NO idea how to go forward. I'm working to make an LED gun and I'd really appreciate any advice going forward!

Start with the simple examples that come with the Arduino IDE in order to learn the language and the special features of the boards. Blink an LED without using delay, read a voltage, a button or a temperature sensor.

jremington:
Start with the simple examples that come with the Arduino IDE in order to learn the language and the special features of the boards. Blink an LED without using delay, read a voltage, a button or a temperature sensor.

The thing is, I can do all of that - it's just on the shield. Now I'm trying to add new LEDs, but it seems I've nowhere to connect them?

If you want help on this forum, ask a sensible question, after giving the relevant background.

See the “How to use this forum” post for hints.

take a picture or draw a sketch. An Arduino has quite a few pins and there are ways to extend how many LED's you can light with some external chips.

Google : arduino LED

check this out Cross Roads Electronics
he has a MAX7219 daisychainable breakout board

• Easily connect up 64 LEDs.

the max7219 is about 2/3 down the page.

Threads merged.