Stephen Hawking died on March 14

Was in the news this morning, http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008

Have good memories on reading his Brief history of Time.

I'm saddened by the passing of probably the greatest mind of our time.

You could feel it this morning, the whole world got just a little dumber.

Does anyone here remember hearing any of his lectures before he got the speech synthesizer? When he could still (kind of) speak?

I always thought that it was cool how he kept the old synth even after much much better tech was available just because we all already knew that as his voice.

He was a real man, conquering adversity and keeping a sense of humor.

ardly:
He was a real man, conquering adversity and keeping a sense of humor.

Talking of his sense of humour, here is one of his jokes.
A photon books into a hotel.
The receptionist asks if he needs help wit his luggage.
"That won't be necessary, as I'm travelling light."

As he was one of the leading minds in astrophysics and mathematics I find it interesting that he was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo Galilee's death. He then passed on Pi day. Two very striking coincidences individually and combined is just crazy.

InquisitiveBill:
As he was one of the leading minds in astrophysics and mathematics I find it interesting that he was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo Galilee's death. He then passed on Pi day. Two very striking coincidences individually and combined is just crazy.

That's the multiverse for you.

I liked the story about him being in a studio preparing for a broadcast. A technician unplugged something and Hawking slumped in his chair. The technician quickly put the plug back in and dashed for assistance. When he got back Hawking was chuckling.

InquisitiveBill:
As he was one of the leading minds in astrophysics and mathematics I find it interesting that he was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo Galilee’s death. He then passed on Pi day. Two very striking coincidences individually and combined is just crazy.

Pi day???
14/3/18…
Yes I know 3/14/18, but some of us in the world reads that date proppa… 14th of March 2018. DD/MM/YYYY
Babylonians estimated it to be 25/8 so 25th August could be Pi day.
A brief history of pi
Nice title… :o

Tom… :slight_smile: