stepper moter homing

What function would i use to home my stepper thats on a belt? iv tried if and for loops but didnt get that to work

const int stepsPerRevolution = 200;  // change this to fit the number of steps per revolution
// for your motor
int inch=200;
// initialize the stepper library on pins 8 through 11:
Stepper myStepper(stepsPerRevolution, 8, 9, 10, 11);

int hom=2;// this is my button pin

void setup() {
  pinMode(hom, INPUT);

myStepper.setSpeed(50);
Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {
  int buttonState = digitalRead(hom);
 if(buttonState==1){
  myStepper.step(0);
  Serial.println("The robot is now homed");
  }
  else{
    myStepper.step(1);

}

If with home you refer to getting the motor or the belt or anything you are moving to a default position, I can only think of 2 possibilities:

1.Having some sort of feedback, like an end switch, so you move the thing into the default direction, and when you get to it, the end switch is hit.(this is how 3d printers, cnc, plotters etc, get the axis to 0,0,0)

2-Move it to the home direction, and if the home position is one of the sides, move the thing a 100% of the path in that direction(option really not recommended)

ex:
this is your whole path, the H is home, and the M the motor, and the line is 1m long. Independently of where the motor is, if you make it move 1m to the left, I will always get to the home. And probably break something.

i got it with the while function thank you anyway

You could use a mechanical limit switch (LS) or an optical break beam (gap) sensor and something like this (untested):

bool homed = false; // in globals

bool go_home()
{
  while(!digitalRead(LS))
  {
    stepper.setSpeed(moderate);
    stepper.step(-1)
  }
  while(digitalRead(LS))
  {
    stepper.setSpeed(slow);
    stepper.step(1);
  }
  delay(500);
  pos = home; // if home position is, say, 20 steps from mechanical end of travel, "home" could be 20
  homed = true;
  stepper.setSpeed(normal);
  return homed;
} 
void loop()
{
  if(!homed)
    go_home();
   // proceed with program