stepper motor connection with driver.

i have brought a stepper motor Nema17 High torque Stepper Motor Nema17 High torque Stepper Motor [RKI-1127] - ₹725.00 : Robokits India, Easy to use, Versatile Robotics & DIY kits and the recomended driver was Dual Motor Driver (Electronic 5 Amp) Dual Motor Driver (Electronic 5 Amp) [RKI-1004] - ₹250.00 : Robokits India, Easy to use, Versatile Robotics & DIY kits.
there is documentation about this driver to control a dc motor but not a stepper motor http://robokits.download/datasheets/RKI-1004(User_Manual).pdf
someone can help me out on the connection.

As lots of people have viewed your Post and have not replied my guess is that people don't know the answer (me included) because you are using an unusual motor driver.

Can you not get information from the manufacturer?

I have some similar motors and I use Pololu A4988 stepper drivers with them.

These links may be of interest.
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

...R

thank you sir, i will buy a new A4988 driver only.

what should be the power supply to this stepper motor(not mentioned in document) NEMA34 Stepper Motor 45Kgcm Torque with RMCS-1101 Drive NEMA34 Stepper Motor 45Kgcm Torque with RMCS-1101 Drive [RMCS-1154] - ₹6,650.00 : Robokits India, Easy to use, Versatile Robotics & DIY kits
can it be power with a 12v battery.

Stepper motors are very inefficient and not really suited to battery power. Your link is to a very high-current motor that would need a huge battery if it is to run for any length of time.

I presume you are NOT thinking of using an A4988 with that motor.

It should work fine with 12v but stepper motors work better at higher speeds with higher voltages.

...R

Robin2:
I presume you are NOT thinking of using an A4988 with that motor.
...R

']

no. i am using RMCS-1101 DRIVE which has come along-with the stepper motor package. the driver documentation states that the input voltage is 18v-80v http://robokits.download/downloads/RMCS1101v2_MicroStepperDriver.pdf.
so connecting a 12v battery to this driver and powering the motor should not cause any problem?
or should a use two 12v battery in series and power the motor with 24v?

shramik:
the driver documentation states that the input voltage is 18v-80v http://robokits.download/downloads/RMCS1101v2_MicroStepperDriver.pdf.
so connecting a 12v battery to this driver and powering the motor should not cause any problem?

If the driver documentation states that the minimum voltage is 18v how could you imagine that 12v is OK?

…R

sir,
this is the motor and driver package i got NEMA34 Stepper Motor 45Kgcm Torque with RMCS-1101 Drive NEMA34 Stepper Motor 45Kgcm Torque with RMCS-1101 Drive [RMCS-1154] - ₹6,650.00 : Robokits India, Easy to use, Versatile Robotics & DIY kits.
so the stepper motor wont work with this driver?

in the motor documentation there is no where stated what is the power supply for the motor.
so connecting it with a 24v power supply will work with this driver?

shramik:
sir,
this is the motor and driver package i got https://robokits.co.in/motors/stepper-motors/nema34-stepper-motor-45kgcm-torque-with-rmcs-1101-drive.
so the stepper motor wont work with this driver?

That seems to be the link you posted earlier.

What makes you think the motor won’t work with the driver? As far as I can see the motor needs 4.2 amps and the driver can produce up to 7 amps, so what is the problem? Just choose the current setting on the driver at or below 4.2 amps so as to protect the motor.

in the motor documentation there is no where stated what is the power supply for the motor.
so connecting it with a 24v power supply will work with this driver?

The power supply connects to the driver and your link says the driver will work with voltages between 18v and 80v. 24v is comfortably within that range.

I feel like I am repeating myself.

…R

thank you sir, i will give it a try.

@Robin2 i am doing a robot arm using this stepper motor (Nema23 Stepper Motor 19KgCm torque with Rhino RMCS -1102, 5A Mircostepping Drive [RMCS-1151] - ₹3,750.00 : Robokits India, Easy to use, Versatile Robotics & DIY kits) for shoulder movement . i got the motor working but when i attached an arm made of plastic pipe, the motor does not hold the top position. it does not take the load of the arm. is there any thing i have take into consider while doing this or i have buy a bigger motor.

That seems to be a powerful motor.

Have you calculated the torque that your "arm" imposes on the motor? If not, do so.

...R

Robin2:
That seems to be a powerful motor.

Have you calculated the torque that your "arm" imposes on the motor? If not, do so.

...R

the total wight of the arm is 600 grams and length is 58 cm. so the torque is T = 27.53kgcm( i am not sure if this is correct). so my motor is 19kgcm which is quiet less. so i tried a larger stepper motor NEMA34 Stepper Motor 45Kgcm Torque with RMCS-1101 Drive NEMA34 Stepper Motor 45Kgcm Torque with RMCS-1101 Drive [RMCS-1154] - ₹6,650.00 : Robokits India, Easy to use, Versatile Robotics & DIY kits and i had the same result, the motor was not able to hold the position. might be else i might be doing wrong.

the test code i am using is below. might be problem with it.

#include <AccelStepper.h>

int pinStep = 10;
int pinDir = 11;

AccelStepper mystepper(1, pinStep, pinDir);

void setup() {
  mystepper.setMaxSpeed(100.0);
  mystepper.setAcceleration(100.0);
}

void loop() {
  mystepper.runToNewPosition(0);
  delay(500);
  mystepper.runToNewPosition(200); 
}

shramik:
the total wight of the arm is 600 grams and length is 58 cm. so the torque is T = 27.53kgcm

How did you figure that out? On my calculator 0.6 * 58 = 34.8

If the arm is 58 cm long and the weight is uniformly distributed it will act at the half-way point = 29cm and with 0.6kg that gives a torque of 0.6 * 29 = 17.4 kg.cm.

Which is still marginal for a 19kg.cm motor

Whichever calculation is correct a 45 kg.cm motor should be strong enough. How are you powering the motor? How have you set the current limit on your stepper driver?

Post a photo of your machine.

...R

the motor driver is connected to a 12v 7.5ah lead acid battery. the motor coil currernt is set to 2.8a .

Images from Reply #16 so we don’t have to download them. See this Simple Image Guide

da8308af176e1683b768dfd22d2c71e163cf72c0.jpg

640bdfd4d2c66e8d7b94c58016c82cd3ebd9f628.jpg

…R

In the link in your Reply #7 I see this

Ideal Motor for CNC machines and other machinery. Standard NEMA 34 frame size. 45Kgcm bipolar configuration motor with RMCS-1101 Stepper Drive. Ideal performance at 4.2Amp configuration.

so it is hardly surprising if it is not producing full torque when you limit the current to 2.8 amps.

...R

thank you sir, changing to 4.2a seems to be getting the arm on top position but when a object is placed in the gripper it falls back to bottom position. looks like i have to buy a bigger motor or reduce the weight of the arm. back to designing again.