Stepper motor control (another one!)

Hello community

I have a project I'd like to start (I'm a french teacher)

I'd like to control a stepper motor :

if voltage is under 1V DC > motor rotates right
if voltage is over 1V DC > motor rotates left
if voltage is 1V motor stops

What type of Arduino board should I start with please ?
Kind regards

Philippe

Any arduino will fulfill your requirements, although you will need a stepper motor driver and external power as well.

Most people start with an Uno.

It should be possible to use any, standard... type of arduino. Some Attiny-based duino's aren't equipped with an Analog to Digital Converter, but the rest is. Using the function Analogread() you can measure 0-5v in 1024 steps and use the outcome to control your stepper.

wildbill:
Any arduino will fulfill your requirements, although you will need a stepper motor driver and external power as well.

Most people start with an Uno.

Wildbill

Shall I understand that I cannot drive the motor directly from the Uno board ?

If you are just demonstrating rotation, you can skip all the bits about special drivers and high voltages and such. you should be able to drive the stepper on 5. volts FROM A SEPARATE POWER SOURCE., DO NOT try to power the stepper from the arduino.

although the best bang for the buck driver is the one Robin2 shows on his into to steppers.

as a note, look up hysteresis. 1.000000000 volts is pretty hard to maintain. 1.00001 or 9.99999 will creep in.

I would offer that if you were to monitor the voltage, record the highest and lowest when the pot is no being moved, then make your window 4 times larger, you will have a very usable 'zero'

did you want to speed up the faster you get away from 1.0 volts ?

right !

the range could be from 0.9 to 1.1V ... :wink:

maybe easier to manage ? ...

dave-in-nj:
If you are just demonstrating rotation, you can skip all the bits about special drivers and high voltages and such. you should be able to drive the stepper on 5. volts FROM A SEPARATE POWER SOURCE., DO NOT try to power the stepper from the arduino.

although the best bang for the buck driver is the one Robin2 shows on his into to steppers.

as a note, look up hysteresis. 1.000000000 volts is pretty hard to maintain. 1.00001 or 9.99999 will creep in.

I would offer that if you were to monitor the voltage, record the highest and lowest when the pot is no being moved, then make your window 4 times larger, you will have a very usable 'zero'

did you want to speed up the faster you get away from 1.0 volts ?

Thank you
Yes i want to speed up ... entire range operation could be from 0V to 1.5V ...

You should read stepper motor basics before you spend money - even if you then decide to ignore its content.

You have not explained where the 0-1.5v comes from - it would be useful to do so.

...R

Robin2:
You should read stepper motor basics before you spend money - even if you then decide to ignore its content.

You have not explained where the 0-1.5v comes from - it would be useful to do so.

...R

Hi Robin,

The signal comes from an automotive lambda sensor ...

Thanks for your help

philippef:
The signal comes from an automotive lambda sensor ...

Then I guess you have to work with what you are given :slight_smile:

...R