Stepper Motor Control Via Joystick

Hello all,

I am working on a simple project where I need to have left and right control of a stepper motor using a joystick.

These are the components I currently have:

Arduino Uno R3
Adafruit Motor Shield V2.3
Nema 17 Stepper Motor 34mm 12V 0.4A 26Ncm(37oz.in) 17HS13-0404S
Standard 4 way joystick with digital switch
9v 2amp power supply

I need to know if:

1. The power supply is enough to control this stepper motor (it's turning an extremely low load)
  2. I am trying to control this motor with left and right joystick for direction and digital switch for a 3 speed setting. I have absolutely no idea how to code for this particular project.

Thanks in advance!

jbartman:
I have absolutely no idea how to code for this particular project.

Do you know any programming or is this your first project?

What you describe can certainly be done.

Start by writing a short program to get values from your joystick and show them on the Serial Monitor.

Then write a separate program to make the motor move (say) 200 steps clockwise followed by 200 steps counter clockwise.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code
also look up the AccelStepper library

This is my absolute first project. So far I have soldered the headers in the motor shield, fitted it onto the Uno, and run the basic test sketch on the uno to make sure it is working.

Robin2:
Start by writing a short program to get values from your joystick and show them on the Serial Monitor.

Is there a program already written out that will do this? I would like someone to write the entire process for me so I can go through it line by line and see what was done.

jbartman:
I would like someone to write the entire process for me so I can go through it line by line and see what was done.

Then you should ask in the Gigs and Collaborations section and be prepared to pay.

If you don't want to pay then there are lots of examples that come with the Arduino IDE and tutorials on this website and many others. And see the Useful Links Thread.

...R