stepper motor control with motor drive shield and analog joystick

I have an Arduino Uno, a motor drive shield L293D, a dual-axis xy joystick module, that I want to use to control two stepper motors (Type: 42BYGH011). The idea is that both motors will either take the Y or X axis for input, so they both turn the same direction and at the same speed when I tilt the joystick in let's say the X direction.

A little info about the stepper motors: step angle is 1.8 degrees so 200 steps for one full rotation, their voltage is 11.2V and current is 0.33A and they have a resistance of 34 ohms and they are bipolar.

So far I haven't been able to find a code online that works. I am hoping that some kind soul here could help me out, because coding really isn't my speciality and I gotta admit it seems a bit confusing to me.

Thanks for reading and have a great day :)

I reckon it would be much better to use specialized stepper motor drivers such as an A4988 or DRV8825. They can be used with much higher voltages as they can limit the current to protect the motor. They also take a lot of the computation load from the Arduino as they only need step and direction inputs.

If you want both motors to move in sync you could connect the step and direction inputs for both stepper drivers to the same Arduino I/O pins and treat them as a single motor.

...R Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code

sadly I don't have access to anything else as of right now.

Dackzy: sadly I don't have access to anything else as of right now.

What have you tried so far?

Have you written a short program to get values from the joystick and display them on the Serial Monitor?

Have you written a short program to make the motor go 200 steps in one direction followed by 200 steps in the opposite direction?

...R