Stepper motor issues

I am using 23HD56005Y-30B hybrid stepper motor. I am driving this motor through Sparkfun Monster Motor Shield. The shield is connected to DC power supply of 12 V and 2 A. I am facing two issues here:

1. When the motor run for short period of time lets say 30 seconds, the chips on the shield become very hot while the motor starts to warm up as well.
  2. The operation of motor is not smooth as well, in every revolution it takes jerks.

I am using a simple code for operating the motor, here it is for your evaluation. Any help would be highly appreciated.

#include <Stepper.h>

const int stepsPerRevolution = 200;  // change this to fit the number of steps per revolution
// for your motor

Stepper myStepper(stepsPerRevolution, 4, 9, 7, 8);

void setup() {
  // set the speed at 60 rpm:
  myStepper.setSpeed(60);
  // initialize the serial port:
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  // step one revolution  in one direction:

myStepper.step(stepsPerRevolution);

}

That stepper motor needs a specialized stepper motor driver that can limit the current to protect the motor. If you provide 12v to that motor it will try to draw 12/1.6 = 7.5 amps. If that current was available the motor would be destroyed. With a 2 amp power supply the power supply will be seriously overloaded. With a suitable stepper driver your power supply would probably be sufficient.

Unfortunately the cheap stepper motor drivers that are used in many Arduino projects (such as the Sparkfun BigEasydriver) will not have the capacity for your motor. You need a stepper motor driver with a current capability of 4 or 5 amps and they are much more expensive.

Note, also, that the standard Stepper library is not suitable for stepper drivers that take step and direction signals. Use the AccelStepper library or just write your own code.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

3A 1.5 ohm motor means something like a Geckodrive will be needed, or possibly a TB6560 (which will be
running hot and right at its limit which is never a satisfactory state of affairs).

That stepper cannot be driven by any DC motor driver or shield, its current driven and very low impedance.

Thank you MarkT and Robin2 by using AccelStepper library and TB6560 my issue has been resolved.