Stepper motor noises at low rpm

I have a 4 wire bipolar Nema 23 stepper motor (24v power supply) connected to a M542T stepper driver and run on a sketch with an Arduino UNO. This is run using a sketch supplied by the designer of the project. He says mods are at your own risk and offers no help if you change them so I am asking here for advice. The project has been breadboarded and works but the design is to run the stepper at 0-10 rpm and has an LCD shield to show the speed. This has been calculated with the sprockets that will attach to the rest of the project to turn a disc. My problem/question is that the stepper makes a few noises and vibrates at 0-4 rpm but is smooth after that up to 10 rpm. It sounds like a bearing click but does it about once a second as it rotates at slow speed. It also vibrates at slow speed. And when I power down, and then power up, the stepper makes a dull thud or clunk. Is this normal? Running the driver at 1600 and the amps at 4.5 per install directions. The stepper motor is rated at 3.5 amps current @1.8 degrees and 200 steps. I am thinking I should change the microstep setting from 1600 to something higher. Any help or advice is appreciated as this is my first dive into steppers and arduinos.
Thanks

It also vibrates at slow speed. And when I power down, and then power up, the stepper makes a dull thud or clunk. Is this normal?

Vibration is the nature of a step motor - microstepping helps reduce it, but its always going to happen to some
extent and at certain resonant frequencies that depend upon the load. Yes on power up it jumps
to position with full torque, that's its job!

As for the one a second click, are you sure that's not an artifact of the software - how are the steps being
generated? Might there be mechanical causes for this outside the motor itself?

Running a 3.5A motor at 4.5A is not good - run it at 3.5A (or lower if you don't need all the torque, it
will run cooler).

MarkT:
Vibration is the nature of a step motor - microstepping helps reduce it, but its always going to happen to some
extent and at certain resonant frequencies that depend upon the load. Yes on power up it jumps
to position with full torque, that's its job!

As for the one a second click, are you sure that's not an artifact of the software - how are the steps being
generated? Might there be mechanical causes for this outside the motor itself?

Running a 3.5A motor at 4.5A is not good - run it at 3.5A (or lower if you don't need all the torque, it
will run cooler).

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking on the amps too. I bought the plans and the guy who wrote them had it that way. I will switch the the amps for now but was thinking maybe changing the microsteps on the driver might help with the vibration or clicking? The click may be an artifact of the software but I am a noob so I don't know. :slight_smile: I cannot post the code as it is prohibited on the purchased plans but I guess I could pick out the stepper control parts and post them. Or maybe PM them or email them? I also (minutes ago) just purchased a new stepper driver (digital) in case that would help. You may have a point on the code though as it is almost as if it is a loop with a extra glitch in it.

And as I learn more (like I just did a minute ago), I could design my own setup and use a geared stepper for low rpm projects that need a little muscle in the torque department. But for the current project the original plans and design are fine in that department.

These links may be of interest
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

...R

Robin2:
These links may be of interest
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

...R

Thanks Robin2. I will check them out!

Added: I checked out both links and there is a lot of good info there. I also looked up the stepper.h info for the library used in my project and have learned a bunch more good info. Thanks again.