Stepper motor not drawing rated current.

Hi,

I have bipolar stepper motor 17hs24-2104s, operated by arduino uno using L293d driver powered by regulated DC powersupply.

Ensured that all connections are correct and per the following figure.

I have set the voltage to be about 4.5 V, then the current shows to be about 0.15 amps. I checked voltages across the motor, driver and input; and they are all consistent between 4.2 to 4.5 Volts. I don't understand what to do. The application I trying to set it up needs torque, without current there is no torque.

Please help me :slightly_frowning_face:

Thanks in advance.

Vijay Pentapati

That motor seems to require 2.1 amps. An L293 is completely unsuitable for controlling it. You should use a specialized stepper motor driver that can handle about 3 amps to give a comfortable margin.

And a specialized stepper driver will allow you to set the maximum current to protect the motor and thus allow you to use a much higher power supply voltage.

Have a read through these links
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

...R

Could you suggest a driver? All the drivers I came across have similar current rating as L293D (Max 2 amps, Max Continuous 1 amp)

Pololu has a good collection of stepper drivers. Their latest can handle 1.8 A continuous/winding without any extra cooling (up to 3A with cooling), which may well be good enough for your project.

The stepper driver boards that use the TB65xx or TB66xx driver chips will probably be the cheapest solution. Google stepper driver 3 amp

The nominal voltage of a stepper motor is essentially irrelevant. The important number of the current. Stepper motors work better with higher voltages.

...R

Thanks all for your quick replies.

I found few boards with specs minimum 5 amps, does that mean it will not work if only 3 amps is necessary.

You need to post a link to the datasheet for a driver board if you want advice about it.

If the minimum current is 5 amps I would expect the maximum to be very much higher and the driver board very expensive.

...R

This has a rating of 2.2 amps with cooling. Will it work?

It is impossible to say.

First, you need to determine the torque requirement for your project, and tell us what that is (if you want informed advice). That determines the type of stepping motor and the required current draw.

You can always set those drivers for less current than the maximum for the motor.

vckedvj:
Pololu - DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, High Current

I don't think so. IMHO (as I said earlier) you should get a driver that can handle at least 3 amps.

...R

vckedvj:
Thanks all for your quick replies.

I found few boards with specs minimum 5 amps, does that mean it will not work if only 3 amps is necessary.

I doubt you did, a minimum 5A stepper driver would be a bizarre object indeed. Always share links please if you are
talking about any piece of hardware, we need to know what you are talking about.

I ordered 1 axis - TB6560 that got good specs that meets 3 amps requirement.

But I was sent the one in the picture attched. On comparison you can see that 3 switches on the one shown on the amazon web page are missing.

Can you recognize what board is this? I tried connecting the same way as the original TB6560, nothing moved.

The board you received appears to be minimally redesigned from the advertised item, with options removed to make it cheaper to manufacture.

Ask the seller for the product manual.