Stepper motor scratchy speed.

Not sure this is the right forum. Please move if needed.

Hello

Once again I come across some problems with my stepper motor setup and I’m not sure how to solve it but I do know where the problem is at.

I’m using the OneButton lib to add more functions to buttons and not overcrowd my project with a lot of them. The button functions work fine but the situation is as follows.

I have a few states in which I move the motor to endstops and record the steps between them. It moves from endstop one to endstop two with acceleration at the start. Anyway, the motor runs but there is a little ‘rumble / scratchy’ noise coming from it as if it doesn’t get enough power. I checked the wires etc but I found out that if I push a button, one that has no function while this state is running, the motor speeds up a bit but more importantly, it sounds very smooth.The OneButton lib uses internal pullup resistors and I wonder if this is causing the disturbance in the motor? Should I use other resistors? Well, I’m not sure if it is a resistor problem, but it seemed odd that when I push any button the speed goes up a bit and the sound is very stable.

Can anyone maybe point me in the right direction? If needed I can make a vid of it.

Thanks!

snewpers: Can anyone maybe point me in the right direction? If needed I can make a vid of it.

Not without a great deal more information ...

• Post your program
  • Post a link to the datasheet for your stepper motor
  • Post a link to the datasheet for your stepper motor driver
  • Tell us what motor power supply you are using (volts and amps)
  • Make a drawing showing ALL the connections and post a photo of the drawing.

Is your motor actually missing steps? If not I don't think I would worry about the noise. But, by all means make a few seconds of video and post a link to it.

...R

Thanks Robin

I'll make a vid and attach the sketch when I get home. It's too long to post now.

The motor is not missing steps, it's just grumbling a bit. I've managed to remove most of the grumbling by removing the acceleration and just using a setSpeed() for it. Now it moans a bit when starting up or when shifting direction. But stil, when I hit a button it runs smoother still.

I'll upload a video with the sketch.

Thanks!

snewpers: I'll upload a video with the sketch.

And all the other stuff, please.

...R

Without code and circuit there's little for us to go on - post the details please.

Sorry had no time... Will do asap.

snewpers: Thanks Robin

I'll make a vid and attach the sketch when I get home. It's too long to post now.

The motor is not missing steps, it's just grumbling a bit.

Utterly normal. You can reduce the amount of noise by using microsteps, but steppers are intrinsically noisy, both from the mechanical stepping (whining/humming) and the chopper driver current noise (usually hissing/rushing note that varies with each step)